Grandeur of the Seas Cruise Review by Tim

Cruise Date: May 2013
Embarkation: Baltimore
Destination: Bahamas
Cabin Category: N
See More About: Grandeur of the Seas Cruise Reviews | Bahamas Cruise Reviews | Royal Caribbean Cruise Deals
Member Rating   Not Rated
Embarkation Not Rated
Service Not Rated
Value-for-Money Not Rated

Fire at Sea on the Grandeur of the Seas
Fire at Sea on the Grandeur of the Seas My 71st cruise and one of the most exciting. 3AM May 27 Bravo, Bravo, Bravo.

Fire alarm, fire alarm Captain requests all passengers go to their muster stations. No panic in his voice but the urgency could be felt.

Sandeep our excellent steward rushed down the hall banging on doors and urging passengers under his care to move swiftly to their muster stations. As each cabin was evacuated he placed a red marker in their key slot.

I took time to dress, grab a camera and cell phone while my sister urged a quick step.

Our muster station #9 was the most aft but the smoke from the fire precluded our using it. The well trained crew urged us forward into the casino and as things developed into the big showroom forward.

Muster stations 7, 8, & 9 luckily ended up with seats in the showroom while we awaited developments.

Others stationed near the life boats on the promenade deck were not so fortunate and many had to stand for several hours.

The captain gave frequent updates and as the fire became more under control his voice became more confident. Few as us realized the enormity of the fire. It took over two hours to get the fire under control.

After five hours we were released from our muster stations. Our cabin had no lights and a heavy smoke smell but it was great to know we could retrieve our possessions.

All ships necessary functions were on line if limited. When asked later by a reporter if I would cruise again my response was absolutely yes. My regard for Royal Caribbean increased immensely. Having lived through a very serious situation I and the rest of the passengers were very impressed with the expertise of the captain and the extremely well trained crew. I posted a few pictures of the hero crew but all acquitted well of themselves. Even if we had to abandon ship we all felt confident of our safety.

Amazingly the passengers rode out the situation in good order and in good spirits. My thought it was because the crew were relaxed, well skilled and gave good example.

Rather than being put off by the fire and not wanting to cruise again I have exactly the opposite reaction. Because the crew handled the situation so well in an extreme condition, I feel very safe sailing am ready to go again now.

Hats off to Royal Caribbean for their concern for the passengers!

Tim Calvert is a guest lecturer on various cruise lines and has been on 71 cruises, 45 as a guest speake

Publication Date: 06/03/13