Norwegian Epic Cruise Review by ASR SAILOR

Member Name: ASR SAILOR
Cruise Date: April 2013
Destination: Transatlantic
Cabin Category: B2
See More About: Norwegian Epic Cruise Reviews | Transatlantic Cruise Reviews | NCL Cruise Deals

EPIC-Not for me!
My wife and I have taken many cruises, some as short as two days and one as long as thirty-five days. We've sailed on small, medium-sized and large ships, and this was our fifth transatlantic. We enjoy sea days and the relaxation they afford, so it appeared that this transatlantic crossing would suit us well. We've sailed on NCL on several occasions, always having enjoyed the experience and service. However, I will never sail on EPIC again, and I would recommend that any "traditional" cruisers avoid this ship at all costs.

Let me explain that after a fairly routine embarkation process in Miami, we arrived at our balcony cabin to discover that the horror stories told about these ultra modern accommodations are true. While stylish in design, they're a horror to occupy, with virtually no space in which to move around. While we did find there to be plenty of storage space, if one were using the sink (yes, you can sit on the bed and brush your teeth!) or dressing table it's necessary for your cabin mate to crawl across the bed to access the closets located near the balcony door. Clearly, the designer of these cabins has never taken a cruise.

The food and bar service we found to be adequate but not exceptional, and the ship's staff appeared to me to be very inexperienced and not very helpful. The big exception was our cabin steward who made us very welcome and who quickly determined our daily routine and always maintained our cabin in ship shape condition and order.

Entertainment options were varied and we did enjoy the "extra fare" Cirque venue, as well as Blue Man Group, and Legends. Second City became our most frequented venue as the content changed with nearly every show.

As it turned out, mother nature did not favor this crossing with more than one or two days of sunshine. Perhaps that was to mitigate the fact that the swimming pools, had we chosen to use them, are very shallow and not at all welcoming. I can't imagine what they'd be like if the ship was booked to capacity and in a warmer clime.

There were no formal nights on this crossing, and since Freestyle Dining is the norm I missed having opportunities to "connect" with dining room staff. Having said that, I must warn potential cruisers that if they enjoy more "traditional" styles of cruising the EPIC is not for them.

Publication Date: 06/02/13