Celebrity Summit Cruise Review by bunnyette: Great time in Bermuda

Great time in Bermuda

Sail Date: May 2013
Destination: Bermuda
Embarkation: Other

After working very hard for the last 9 months, I wanted a nice relaxing vacation. We've cruised with Celebrity before and DH loved them. When I saw this one leaving from New Jersey, we jumped at the opportunity at not having to fly. As well we are keen golfers and my friends had said Bermuda was a great place to play. So we combined our love of cruising with our love of golfing.

Embarkation:

We arrived to drop off our luggage only to find that we had to carry on our golf clubs...not cool. Why Celebrity cannot have a special drop off for sports equipment is beyond me. The clubs were secured in travel bags. So we had to lug them with us to the Oceanview Cafe and through all of the check-in. My evil glare must have scared every employee we met as we had great service. The porter was sympathetic. However, from the time the bags were dropped and the car parked, we were checked in in about 15 minutes.

The golf clubs and us enjoyed lunch and then by 1 pm More the room was ready. We had Concierge Class and it was wonderful to sit on the balcony.

We ate in Qsine the first night due to the 20% discount one gets for eating there on the first night - fantastic. We ate in the MDR the rest of the cruise with select dining. Loved the flexibility.

Met everyone from our roll call for a get together along with a poker crawl. Loved seeing the various cabins. That was one of the few activities I participated in. My only complaint (aside from the golf clubs) was the lack of activities offered during sea days. There seemed to be many offered on Port Days but few on the sea days. I did a spinning class one day, attended a chef battle another and a few liquour tasting on others. Otherwise, we hung out on the balcony (where we stored the golf clubs) or read and relaxed.

Bermuda was wonderful and the golf fantastic! No hassles at the port, only polite and friendly people. No problem catching a taxi to the golf courses - there was a traffic supervisor who radioed for a taxi so we didn't have to carry our clubs. Nobody trying to hustle and rob you like some other caribbean ports I have visited. On the 3rd day in port - it was a national holiday - Bermuda Day - so we went to Hamilton only to find most of the stores closed and people celebrating. We watched a 1/2 marathon and explored the island on foot. We discovered a look out just north of the City...where we could see the cruise ships! It is nice to just wonder around and in Bermuda one could do that safely.

On the way back, it was very rough seas. We are lucky we don't get too seasick...well almost.

We went to a very quiet Champagne High Tea...then feeling fat I went to run on the treadmill - well with the rocking and rolling that was not a good idea as I started to feel ill. Once I walked outside in the brisk and windy atmosphere, I felt better. But it was a quiet day on the ship.

Disembarking was a breeze, the biggest hold up was the shuttles to take passengers from the ship to the baggage claim area (& immigration). They should think about setting up a walkway for those that can walk the 100 feet or so. Anway, with a healthy tip to the Porter who loaded the clubs and suitcases on a trolley, we were at our car pretty quickly once off the ship.

All in all a great cruise with great staff. Less

Read more Celebrity Summit cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Celebrity Summit Review >>

Cabin review: Celebrity Summit Concierge Class Penthouse Deck (6)

We golf at 2 courses - Turtle Hill and Port Royal. Staff at both courses were excellent. I booked the tee times myself on line. We easily got a taxi there. Turtle Hill was about $35 and Port Royal was $25. The ferries to Hamilton and St. George's are very easy to get as is day passes and tokens. The staff at the port are very helpful. There are activities (Snorkle Park, museums and dolphins) at the port as well as restaurants and shopping. Bermuda is a safe and lovely port...we never felt unsafe at any time.