Norwegian Star Cruise Review by karbop1: NCL Star - Never Again

NCL Star - Never Again

Sail Date: May 2013
Destination: Baltic Sea
Embarkation: Copenhagen

I just completed my first, and last, cruise with NCL. I was on the NCL Star Batlic cruise May 16, 2013-May 25, 2013. I guess I have been spoiled on Holland America and I expected a better cruise. I had read bad reviews about NCL prior to our trip but figured "how bad could it be". I'm not a picky eater but almost everything we ate was rubbery and rarely warm. We took to ordering 2-3 entrees in the hopes of finding enough edible items to equal a meal. The room service menu had about 10 items on it. Most items didn't arrive warm via room service, the buffet or the dining room. The quality of food was pretty bad as well. I felt bad about how much food I wasted in an attempt to find anything good.

In their favor I will say the service was exceptional. The staff always had a smile and were very attentive. My room, which was a balcony room, was quite large and roomy and very inviting. My co-travelers had issues with their balcony room as the balcony had been painted on More the day we arrived and had wet paint signs on it. Later that night they received a note saying that there would be painting from 9am-9pm the next day. We went to reception to discuss the issue with them and were told that they should have received a letter prior to the cruise asking for permission to do the painting during the cruise. We had been in Italy several weeks prior to the cruise and no letter was received and no permission was granted. We were told no more painting would happen during the cruise..The balcony continued to be painted and labeled with wet paint signs for the next several days. NCL was unwilling to do anything to stop this from happening. So, in effect, my friends ended up with an oceanview room instead of a balcony room. We will be attempting to obtain a refund for the difference. However, it's too late keep it from affecting the cruise.

So while the staff was excellent it could in no way detract from the really poor food and the fact that a balcony room was paid for and was not able to be used during the cruise. There was no offer to switch to another balcony room, no explanation of whether any such room was available and no attempt was made to fix the problem.

What I did like were our ports of call and the ease of getting on and off the boat.

One last thing, NCL lost my luggage between my room and the dock and after spending extra time searching the dock for my luggage and completing a lost luggage form my luggage did show up at the airport when I got there.

All in all the cruise was a lot of fun when in port. We played BINGO one day and one of the prizes was a free cruise. I certainly would not have considered that a prize.

For myself I will never take another NCL cruise as I expect better value for my money. Less

Read more Norwegian Star cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Norwegian Star Review >>

Cabin review: Norwegian Star Oceanview Stateroom with Balcony Deck Eight 8058

My room, which was a balcony room, was quite large and roomy and very inviting. My bed was extremely uncomfortable and felt like I was laying on metal rods. I ended up sleeping sitting up for 8 nights. My friends slept well so it may just be what you're used to. It was a quiet location and near the stairs and elevator. I rarely heard noise from outside the cabin. There was plenty of room to hang clothing and store bags. The shower was really good and there was a really good hairdryer. The balcony was pretty nasty looking. I wouldn't walk out on it barefoot. It was rusty looking and had flecks of paint everywhere. It was like really rough beat up flooring of some sort. I took pictures of it because it was so nasty looking. But as long as I wore shoes and sat on a towel I was still able to enjoy time on the balcony.

City Tour

Did the Hop On Hop Off bus tour. one of the best, and most economical, ways to see the city.

Rostock City Tour

We chose Friends of Dave for our tour and it was fabulous. We had a walking tour of Warnemunde and Rostock and took the train to Schwerin to visit the castle. It was a great excursion.

Schwerin Castle

Amber Room

Had a private two day tour for three of us which allowed us to visit pretty much every main destination and a few others besides. i would recommend SPB Tours highly.

Catherine Palace

Church of the Savior on Spilled Blood

Hermitage Museum

Peter & Paul Fortress

Peterhof Palace

Yusupov Palace

Old Town of Tallinn

Took a taxi to the top of Old Town and slowly made our way down and throough town back to the ship.