Star Princess Cruise Review by Holomoku: Another great Princess cruise is in the books.

Holomoku
Member Since 2011

Compare Prices on Star Princess Hawaii Cruises

Another great Princess cruise is in the books.

Sail Date: April 2013
Destination: Hawaii
Embarkation: Los Angeles

To begin the trip we used the Princess Transfers and Hotel in L.A. The Airport Marriot. Even with our late evening arrival at the A/P a Princess Rep. was there to meet us and take us to the luggage and shuttle points. I knew I was on Holiday as soon as I saw the Princess sign being held up. The hotel room was good and the transfer in the morning went very smoothly. A really good deal for the low price.
Embarkation at the pier went very smoothly, we are Platinum so there was no waiting to speak of and we were on the ship in about 20 min. of leaving the bus shuttle. Our room was ready and my rented Tux was already hanging in the closet, we met Romeo Eschavez our Room Steward and he took care of everything throughout the cruise in a very efficient and friendly manner. We became friends over the two weeks. We had a Balcony cabin on Caribe near the bow, great location.

We found all the activities to be good and well run, just too many of the things I wanted to do were More at the same time, so always choices to be made. I found the Astronomer and the lady that lectured about the "Enigma Machine" to be very good. Having a good Astronomy lecture every Sea Day was wonderful. We did not attend the port lectures because we live in Hawaii and have been to all the places.

I did have one interesting experience with Passenger Services. We were getting off the ship one day early in Ensenada so the night before I took our letter from Princess down there with the L.A. Disembarkation form that I did not need to check with the and make sure everything was a go. I showed the Lady there my letter and gave her back the form. She says I cannot get off Ensenada and I need to fill out the L.A. form, I point to the approved spot on the letter. We go back and forth several times. Then she brings me up in the computer and turns to me to say "You are getting off in Ensenada, you won't need this L.A. form." I almost started laughing, but maintained somehow, and said "Mahalo". The younger generation will not believe a letter on their own letterhead, but will believe a computer, amazing.

We did not do any of the ship tours because we live in the islands.

Our Stateroom was very nice, the bed in good condition, the pillows good. I do wish that during the next drydock that perhaps glass door and a foot rest could be added to the shower. Too hard to balance against the wall and wash ones toes and feet. Also, the water temp in the shower would fluctuate quite a bit and it did not matter what time of day I was showering. Very early morning was the best for a steady temp to be maintained.(0530-0600 hrs.)

With Anytime dining one does not get to know the Wait Staff as personally as one would with Traditional dining, but the care and attention to detail was there. Food was good and I did get my Root Beer Float for dessert one evening. Once I explained it Vladimir our waiter that evening he had it for me even though he had never heard of such a thing. Both Specialty Restaurants were very good with Sabbitinis getting the nod this time. Vladimir was very good. We found the Bar Staff to be very good and they knew our drinks as soon as we walked in and called us by name, very nice.

My Wife did make good use of the Spa facilities.
I do wish the Casinos on Princess would open the Crap table with a full crew, just makes the game more enjoyable rather than the half table routine.

Our special disembarkation went very smoothly. The man sent with the luggage cart took our stuff all the way to the other ship for us. One minor glitch with Mexican Security about which door to go through was the only problem. Less

Read more Star Princess cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Star Princess Review >>

Cabin review: Star Princess Oceanview Double with Balcony Emerald Deck c223

Good cabin, met all our qualifications. We had the view we wanted. Would like to see the shower curtains disappear on the next refurb and a glass sliding door installed. Perhaps a foot rest could be added also for easier washing of the feet I had not thought about it but no doors on the closet is a real plus for ease of use and making the room feel larger.

We live in the islands so did no tours or sightseeing while in the ports.
Read 165 Kona Reviews