Carnival Sensation Cruise Review by cruisejunky45: Good short cruise

Good short cruise

Sail Date: May 2013
Destination: Bahamas
Embarkation: Other

Why this cruise: We normally do not take short cruises but right after Hurricane Sandy last year my girlfriend and I booked a 2-night Cruise to Nowhere on the Carnival Pride which we both enjoyed. Then I attended a vacation ownership meeting and one of the ?gifts" offered was a 3-night Bahamas cruise. We talked it over and decided that we wanted a longer cruise and when we decided to go to Florida for a week in early May, we booked the Sensation 4-night Bahamas cruise.

Arrival: We drove from Orlando to Port Canaveral and used the Radisson parking which I had read about in a previous review. Much less than parking at the pier and the service was good. We arrived at the terminal around 11:45 am and were on board by 12:30.

The ship: Although this ship first entered service in 1993, it has had one refurbishing and appeared to be in very good condition. Our stateroom was an Ocean view on Deck 5 near the middle of the ship. Unlike some other cabins we have stayed in, this More one was closer to a square. I liked the magnetic door stops on both the entry and bathroom doors. There is not that much storage space in the bathroom but the closets had plenty of room although my girlfriend had trouble reaching the hangars in one section (she is not very tall).

One thing I have noticed on my last few cruises is that there is no longer a bucket of ice in the stateroom. I am sure we could get one by calling Housekeeping but we got along fine without it.

I also liked the choice of channels on the TV. We like shows on CBS and they used a Miami channel to provide it.

There was one thing that annoyed us on the cruise. Many parts of the ship were cold. I remembered from a previous Carnival cruise that cabin temperature is regulated by closing the air vent in the ceiling so it was not too bad there.

Food: It was about what I expected on a mass market ship - not gourmet, but very edible. We were at a 10-place table at early seating. Our tablemates were a middle-aged married couple from Florida, 2 middle-aged women also from Florida, and a family of 3 from Australia. They had been in the US 4 weeks and were planning to stay another 2. I thought the service as OK although most nights I got my soup before my starter. There was a good variety and we had lobster tail and prime rib available the second night and baked Alaska the last night. We also ate breakfast in the MDR and Carnival still uses a la carte ordering at breakfast. They ran out of bananas by the third morning which surprised me. The pizza was not very good.

Entertainment: Production show ?Curves" was not very good. The talent was OK but the material they had to work with was not. The two comedians were alright - we only went to the family-friendly performances.

Debarkation: Seemed to be well-organized although there were only 3 CBP agents on duty which slowed the process. Less

Read more Carnival Sensation cruise reviews >>