Norwegian Epic Cruise Review by Cloudyrain: First Timer, Epic holiday!

Cloudyrain
Member Since 2012

Compare Prices on Norwegian Epic Europe - Western Mediterranean Cruises

First Timer, Epic holiday!

Sail Date: May 2013
Destination: Europe - Western Mediterranean
Embarkation: Barcelona

We arrived at Barcelona and checked in and got on the ship in about an hour after arriving. It was a lot easier than I thought it would be. Our bags were taken to our room by half 3 and we had a good wander. We started with lunch in O'Sheehans which was quick and quiet.

I found I got stressed waiting for the safety drill, but in reality it was really easy and well organised and it didn't matter that we didn't know what to do because the people that mattered did!

My husband got a soda card, I didn't, and he got his moneys worth! There wasn't any issue with only one of us having a card as I had previously read.

We only ate in the free restaurants; mainly O'Sheehans for lunch, and Manhattans/Taste for dinner. Garden buffet was good but got really busy. Outdoor grill and snacks in the afternoon was also good. Free tea, coffee, water, fruit punch, iced tea, available from virtually everywhere all the time.

Had no issues with smoke in the casino or balcony - More and being an ex-smoker I can smell it a mile away! :)

Enjoyed Legends (Adele, Tina Turner and Tom Jones), Howl at the Moon, TheBeatles, Fabba, Bliss. Totally didn't enjoy Blue Men - do not get why people rave about it, didn't think it was funny, and I'm normally easily amused!

Did independent company tours in Naples (Pompeii) and Florence. Used the shuttle in Marseille (good value compared to taxi price). Dont bother with Rome, it was too far and too much to try and see in a day. Don't use the shuttle in Palma - the public bus is 2e and is right outside the ship. Take a taxi from the Cathedral to Castle Bellver then walk back to the ship via Porto Pi shopping centre.

Overall excellent ship, excellent staff, wonderful food and good choice. Brilliant room (ours had a bath too) with good free films and a good selection of paid for films. Quite a young crowd too so quite lively, but not over the top. Loads to do, you need two weeks to come close to doing half the stuff on board and the ports. Less

Read more Norwegian Epic cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Norwegian Epic Review >>

Cabin review: Norwegian Epic 12074

Brilliant room with a bath and bed near the balcony which works well. The balcony was a good size, but looked out on to life boats - though that didn't bother me I know some people moan! Near the forward lifts but no noise at all and really easy to get to your room. I'm a light sleeper but didn't notice any noise from neighbours or corridors.

Embark/debark port - handled well but didn't have time to see the city unfortunately.

Lots to sees make sure yup plan in advance to fit everything in: don't just discount it because the cruise port doesn't do the city justice, it is beautiful and interesting, but do your homework. Don't bother with proper tours, just get the shuttle and a guide book.even if you don't intend on doing much, it's worth just having little walk through town!

My favourite place! Get a public bus (right outside the port terminal) into Palma and go in to the cathedral (6e), then walk through the streets to get some food from a small Plaja, avoid the Major because it is overpriced! Then get a taxi (6-8e) to Castell Bellver (3e) then walk back through the grounds (easy to walk back as you take a short cut path that takes 15 mins to get to the main road, and a further 15-30mins to the ship (depending how fast you walk!). Might be better to get a bus to Porto Pi if you want to shop as it's 5 minutes walk to the ship so not far to carry your bags!

Despite the map the city does little to encourage visitors. It's worth a walk round, but you only need to allow an hour.