Carnival Splendor Cruise Review by RandiRN: Carnival Splendor--Overall a wonderful experience!!!

RandiRN
Member Since 2010

Compare Prices on Carnival Splendor Eastern Caribbean Cruises

Carnival Splendor--Overall a wonderful experience!!!

Sail Date: May 2013
Embarkation: New York (Manhattan)

I just returned yesterday from an 8 or 9 day cruise on the Carnival Splendor. The ship left New York City with stops at Nassau,Bahamas, Grand Turk,Bahamas,and Half Moon Cay. This was not my first cruise. Getting aboard the ship in NY was not a terrible experience. I travel with my sister-in-law and mother-in-law. We are all handicapped and require wheelchairs to board the ship. The Carnival crew members who pushed the wheelchairs were terrific. The folks from Intercruise (they are the port support folks) were not so good. We try to stay together, but especially my sister-in-law and myself. We are in the same cabin, hence our boarding pass and accounts are connected. The folks from Intercruise just didn't get it and kept trying to split us up.

The Carnival staff was efficient and pleasant. On the Splendor the efficient crew just continued to make a positive experience. Our cabin attendant, Margarita was both friendly and efficient. We had a couple of issues on the first day More i.e. only 1 large towel in the cabin. After speaking to the housekeeping manager, the problem was resolved. Margarita was simply wonderful. Due to our VIP status and I think a lack of sold cabins, we had been "upgraded" to a balcony on deck 8, from our balcony on deck 6. A problem that arose was the inability to maneuver the handicapped elective scooter into the room. This caused a problem of how to recharge the scooter each night. One of the ship's officers put an extension cord in the door jam.I pointed out to him that each time the door was closed, with the possibility of starting n electrical fire. The end result was: each night the scooter was taken to Guest Services and recharged there, then the scooter was returned each morning at 7am.

Our cabin was the usual setup. A bed that was separated into 2 twins. There was a desk, a small table, 3 drawers, a couch, and 2 closets. The cabin setup was sufficient. The balcony was small, but big enough for 2 chairs.

The food on board was okay. The Lido deck was always very crowded. There were 4 lines for food. There were 2 lines for the daily fare, a Mongolian Grill, and a burrito bar. My biggest criticism was that the hot foods were not kept hot. Soups especially were not hot. The soups were put on the line on rectangular shaped pans, rather then the round pots usually found on a food line. My other observation was that the soups offered were always a cream based soup. I asked why was there never a broth based soup? I was informed that chicken soup was always available, it only needed to be requested. What I did find distressing was that soups had no body, the stocks were very thin.

I have to give the crew kudos. The crew was extremely accommodating. There were those crew members working the Lido deck who did very little work. They would stand around chatting among themselves. I actually had dirty dishes sitting on a table near the pool for over 3 hours. I did mention this to the officer in charge, Marko. Overall, the crew performed magnificently.

My time on the Splendor, was splendid. Less

Read more Carnival Splendor cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Carnival Splendor Review >>

Cabin review: Carnival Splendor Balcony Panorama

My cabin was on deck 8, 1 deck below the Lido deck. It was noisy.