Enchantment of the Seas Cruise Review by TheTruthCanHurt

Home > Reviews > Member Reviews > Enchantment of the Seas Cruise Review by TheTruthCanHurt
Enchantment of the Seas
Enchantment of the Seas
Member Name: TheTruthCanHurt
Cruise Date: May 2013
Embarkation: other
Destination: Bahamas
Cabin Category: D1
See More About: Enchantment of the Seas Cruise Reviews | Bahamas Cruise Reviews | Royal Caribbean Cruise Deals

Enchantment... Nice alternative for a short getaway
So I am far from a first time cruiser and have sailed on many of the RCCL ships, including the Enchantment once before. Here are my thoughts on my May 20th bahamas cruise..

Port everglades:

Out of the florida ports I have sailed out of, Port everglades is definitely my LEAST favorite, Not because of the port itself, embarkation and debarkation was actually quite smooth. My Huge dislike for this port is because of it's remote location as it relates to airports. Orlando airport (MCO) is appx an hour from this port or what is a 100+ dollar cab ride each way. Since I am out of state I always arrive a day early so getting a cruise line transfer is not an option. Thus leaving my only option a rental car. I got a great deal at Dollar rental car for 130/week so it was far cheaper then a rental car or even the cruise line transfers, but still a cost that would NOT be incured if you were in miami or ft lauderdale. I ended up getting a room at the holiday inn express and getting their park and fly thing which basically breaks down to 30 dollars for the parking part of the package with free shuttle transfer.. ( so not bad but again, a cost not normally encurred). The last thing I dont care for is that when you get off the ship, you cant do an 11am flight like your nomrally could from lauderdale so my only option was a 3pm flight, leaving me with extra hours of nothing to do. Again, if your local maybe the drive is no big deal but for out of state, it's definitely not the most convenient. anyways... enough of the port lets move on.

The ship:

I was on the enchantment in 2007 and I have to admit it pretty much looks the same. The ship is in very good condition and really have no complaints about it's shape..(although like everyone else says, I miss the plastic shower doors on all the new ships, the curtain is no great.

I had a balcony stateroom catagory d1 it was very comparable to the rooms I get on the navigator, explorer, liberty, independence... Absolutely fine size.

I have told my buddy who travels with me a lot on the liberty or the navigator that unless you get "that" type of ship with a royal promenade, all other ships from any cruise line are essentially the same. (you have to go up to get down, walk down this hallway and up stairs to get to this area) and for the most part I have to say thats completely true. Although I do like the class of people on royal caribbean ships. Nicer then the "carnival/motel 6 on the water feel). That said, it's a nice ship good crew and not difficult to navigate after you get used to things. if given a chance i would take a freedom class ship hands down. but there are no 4 or 5 night cruises on any ship with a promenade in the summer ( if you ask me thats a huge mistake on the part of rccl) maybe they could keep the navigator here ( which is one class under the freedom ships) instead of fire selling every european cruise on it as they have done all this summer.

There was a review that talked about walking by a room with sewage smell. I do have to say the the mid section of deck 7 (hallway) always smelled like sewage, and when were sitting on the tender at coco cay waiting to leave the ship you could definitely smell it. Not sure what that is about, it's only something I have ever experienced on carnival ships. I am sure it has to do with how these older ships handle their waste. No sure why.

Food:

The food on this ship was absolutely on par with the other RCCL ships. I do have to say that

1. for some reason they did not have smoked salmon at breakfast.. something I miss

2. The sweets still suck... horribly bad. ( but everyone always says that)

3. This is a first for me. The service in the dining room was absolutely aweful. First Time I have every had really bad service in the dining room.

Sanitary things..

I do have to say that as someone esle talked about. There are definitly people who eat their way through the buffet. Sticking there fingers in their mouth and then touching serving items. Really really gross. It was mostly old people and indian people I witnessed repeatedly doing this. The grossest thing I saw was an indian man taking his water bottle and shoving it under the lemonade dispenser and filling it from there directly. As any of you that have ever been to a gym, thats the one thing they yell at you for SO UNSANITARY. no wonder why people get sick..

coco cay

This is a nice little break. It's a small beach with a few things to do. it's great for a few hours. Couldnt see spending the entire day there but it's nice. We did the wave runners (definitely over prices 130 dollars for two people for an hour) but it's their island and they got you. But all in all it's a nice break. Not dissapoing

Nassau

we were in nassau from 7 am to midnight. all the shops close at 6pm so unless you are going drinking there is pretty much nothing to do after 6pm in nassau but it's clean, safe and decent shopping. again, prices are not great, i think because you are still to close to florida. I would save the major jewelry shopping for much more southern ports if you have a chance to get to cozumel or grand cayman. but thats another cruise.

Overall it was a nice cruise on a nice ship. and would do it again if the nicer ships were not available.

Just my thoughts.