Westerdam Cruise Review by weldon31: HAWAII/TAHITI /SO PACIFIC

HAWAII/TAHITI /SO PACIFIC

Sail Date: April 2013
Destination: South Pacific
Embarkation: San Diego

We have over 260 sea days with Holland America and after this last cruise it will remain at that number. This was the second time we have taken this cruise and it was probably the worst cruise of my lifetime. It started with embarkation in San Diego, for some reason non- US citizens don't get the word to clear with customs so the whole operation waits, hours for a few stragglers. Finally boarding after a couple hours in the cold pier and looking forward to the Mariners lunch, there was none....no reason, just none!! Cabin was not very clean, lots of dust around the air ducts at the ceiling. A veranda cabin on deck 4(4141)which we find is over the men's restroom, ka-boom and later really loud booms,and lots of water splashing right above the bed ?? After many complaints and the engineers visit we are told the MAIN plumbing line comes down through the wall, WOW, and nothing could be done...more complaints and we got moved, not upgraded but moved up one deck, quiet but way forward. More We're 4 stars and since we were moved we were forgotten and never received invites for wine, cocktails parties even the Mariners brunch did get free laundry.

About 2 weeks into the cruise we became aware of a lot of coughing going on, also observed several people being evacuated at some of the ports, the ship was very cold as in very cold, shorts were not very comfortable and long sleeve shirts or sweaters were needed. It was really hot in the islands and you walk into a cold ship, no wonder people were sick.

The menus have really slipped, we ordered bacon cheese burgers for dinner several times as the menus were so weird, what is a veal cheek?? The menu covers were disgusting, worn out and thread bare.

Happy hour served hot hor d'ouvers after 5 when it was over, the bars ran out of peanuts, gold fish and no pop corn for the movies.

Formal night has become a joke, blue jeans, polo shirts, no ties but a jacket of sorts, why bother ?? Service was pretty good, we had a good waiter and table but it took about a week of pleading to get one.

This cuise was their 140 birthday, it was a real dud. The Captain gave a nice little talk and stood by a god awful fake blue cake about 8 foot square and we were given glass of pink rum punch, warm,and then had to listen to a 45 minute travel talk....wonder whatthe next 140 years have in store??

The medical center was very busy, I went several times, had x-rays and told I had fluid on my lungs and to see my doctor as soon s I got in. Fortunatel I had cough syrup as the medical center was out of it !!We had 4 days to go and I was counting, the last day the captin announced that there was going to be an air evac and we had to stop in to allow the helicopter to pick up a sick passenger, I think a lot of us would have liked to have left then also. Anyway it was interesting to watch. Finally, San Diego, and guess what, we waited over an our for the non-us citizens to report in. When it was time to disembark it was pandemonium,people rushed from all over and it was a disaster, meanwhile the captain called for a fire drill in the middle of this,it was a mess ..to bekind I live near San Diego and went to see my Dr that afternoon and told I had double pneumonia. Now 3 weeks later I am still on antibiotic, steroids for pleurisy and etc, etc, 6 office visits at $225 each and pills that cost $28 each...and I'm still coughing... I was in excellent health when I left. We have love our cruises but all things come to an end and it is a shame that the health of passengers has to be endangered to make some $$$$ Less

Read more Westerdam cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Westerdam Review >>

Cabin review: Westerdam Deluxe Verandah Oceanview Upper Promenade 4141

4141, loud plumbing noise ads drains are by walls from above...