Carnival Sunshine Cruise Review by markwiz

Cruise Date: May 2013
Embarkation: Barcelona
Destination: Western Mediterranean
Cabin Category: Window
See More About: Carnival Sunshine Cruise Reviews | Western Mediterranean Cruise Reviews | Carnival Cruise Deals
Spa & Fitness 5+

Ship Facts: Carnival Sunshine Review (by Cruise Critic!) | Carnival Sunshine Deck Plans
Good but not great
Carnival really needed to hit one out of the park after all the bad press. They did not come close.

The good

The ship is all new inside. The cabin was roomy, 1528. The piano bar guy Daz was the best entertainment on the ship. I wish all piano bar entertainers follow his example. The waitress, Tanya was experienced and very helpful. Guy's burgers are great. The Asian restaurant was very good and worth the price. The ports were great. The Carnival excursions were prompt and well run. Sadly, there seemed to always seems to be one rude person who holds things up. The burrito bar and fresh omelets are good. The steakhouse was good but not worth the price. We paid $120 for two with a bottle of wine. I can get just as good of a meal at several good steak houses in the us for the same price or less. Checkin at BCN was the fastest and easiest of any cruise I have been on.

The not so good.

The pool was not open. They gave us $100 obc. The weather was cold and cloudy so we did not miss the pool. The TV in the room really stinks. They have a severe line noise problem that messes up signal. Even the the on-board channels are messed up. The on-board channels have a sync problem where the sound is out of sync with the picture. Carnival obviously cut corners here and the results are obvious. Food in the main dinning room was less than spectacular. I hope this because they have a new crew. For example, the lobster was not fully cooked. They actually did not cook the chocolate melting cake. I have sailed Carnival several times so I know how it should be cooked. While our head waiter, Tanya was great her helpers were still learning and we saw improvement every day. The Hasbro Game show is the lamest thing I have ever seen. The other entertainment was typical Carnival caliber, not great but not too bad. At least they did not any flag waving like past cruises. The sunshine is a refurb of the destiny, so it retains a lot of annoying flow / layout issues of older ship. I really don't like the placement of the Serenity area. It overlooks the pool with all the loud noises and activities. All other serenity areas i have been to are on the back of the ship away from the noise. It is not serene.

Hopefully things will improve with a more experienced crew. I am sure a lot of the problems were caused by the bean counters trying to save a buck. IMHO I feel the Carnival upper management should be fired along with the CEO. They needed to deliver a Quality Product the first time and did not. Also the project manager for the refurb had 3 extra weeks and things were still not completed.

Publication Date: 05/30/13
More Carnival Sunshine Cruise Reviews

Read the previous Carnival Sunshine review Read the next Carnival Sunshine review

More Western Mediterranean Reviews