Carnival Valor Cruise Review by ETLIKES2TRAVEL: CRUISED WITH SON & DAUGHTER-IN-LAW - THEIR FIRST CRUISE OUR 10TH

ETLIKES2TRAVEL
Member Since 2013

Entertainment Not Rated

Compare Prices on Carnival Valor Southern Caribbean Cruises

CRUISED WITH SON & DAUGHTER-IN-LAW - THEIR FIRST CRUISE OUR 10TH

Sail Date: May 2013
Destination: Southern Caribbean
Embarkation: San Juan

Embarkation: We walked to the Port (Muelle #4)from our hotel - Villa Herencia on Caleta de las Monjas street in OSJ. It took us 20 minutes to walk there while pulling 2 pieces of luggage each. :)

We arrived at the Port at 11:10AM - There were around 5 people in line - We paid the Porter - Red Shirts & ID's - to take our luggage and because the lines were so short we decided to try to check-in. We already had our Boarding Passes that we printed from Carnival's website which made things a whole lot smoother - We were immediately sent up to Guest services - they gave us our Sail n Sign cards - and our boarding number (4) and asked to have a seat and wait until our number was called. Since we were waiting for my Mom to arrive from out of town (she lives in Puerto Rico) we asked if we had to wait or could we leave the ship. We were advised we could leave and that if we returned after 12:30-1:00pm we could walk in straight to the ship without having to go back through Guest More Services. We left to meet my Mom at the bus terminal - It was now 11:30 :) 20 minutes total to check in 4 passengers is pretty fantastic.

Balcony: The balcony was very nice; however, this was the first time we choose an Aft cabin and would probably not do so again. The reason being that on these particular balconies your next door neighbor can see into your area without having to lean in. There is no privacy from side to side. It is curious to say that the cabin to our left while facing the sea was a wraparound balcony with ton of room; however, the passengers in the cabin would choose to come all the was around to the small area of our balcony and lean there. I still don't understand that. Anyhow, all in all I did like the roominess of it.FOOD: I had read so many negatives about the food that I was expecting the worse and hoping for the best. I was also a bit nervous for my family who were with us on their first cruise and thinking what they would say about the food; etc...

I found the food to be very, very, good. My son and his wife ate numerous times in the dining room and they loved it. And trust me, my beautiful daughter-in-law is very picky about her food! They said the steaks they ordered melted in their mouths!

We found the soups to be awesome, even the mushroom soup. And I do not eat mushrooms.

We ate at Rosie's - the Grill outside - Lincoln Dining Room - The Deli - Mongolian Wok (hubby's favorite) Pizza and Room Service. No complaints.

Entertainment - Only did the Married Couples show and it was hilarious.

Public Areas - All super clean - nothing old or worn as so many reviewers state - I did not find the decor tacky as also stated by other reviewers. It was all toward Heroes and I thought it was neat.

All in all I am really glad we went on the Valor. It is a great ship with great staff; good food; and beautiful ports. Less

Read more Carnival Valor cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Carnival Valor Review >>

Cabin review: Carnival Valor Balcony Empress 7447

Cabins: We were on Empress Deck - Balcony Cabin # 7447. The cabin was very nice; clean; spacious; with lots, n lots, of closet space. The configuration was also very nice. Left room to move around - well as easily as you can in 186 sq. ft. :) Balcony: The balcony was very nice; however, this was the first time we choose an Aft cabin and would probably not do so again. The reason being that on these particular balconies your next door neighbor can see into your area without having to lean in. There is no privacy from side to side. It is curious to say that the cabin to our left while facing the sea was a wraparound balcony with ton of room; however, the passengers in the cabin would choose to come all the was around to the small area of our balcony and lean there. I still don't understand that. Anyhow, all in all I did like the roominess of it. By the way, I have no clue what other reviewers were talking about regarding the narrow halls to get your luggage in. This cabin type actual had more space outside the corridors then other cabins we've stayed in like on Upper Deck 6448 of other ships.

This is truly a neat port. We had been here before but had not really gone downtown. Loved it. It is basically one long street and in between you find many hand-made crafts being sold by the locals. There is the Waterfront Cafe - beautiful place - clean bathrooms, great staff, etc... Many stores surrounding it. Make sure when you look at the Menu prices that you confirm it's in Barbados/US currency. Some people were getting scared away by the prices until I pointed out to them that it was listed in Barbados currency. 2 Barbados dollars to 1 US - so just divide the price by two. But ask if you are unsure. Walked into town and walked back. Nice stroll.
Read 702 Barbados Reviews

Final and best port to enjoy. This port has the best prices for souvenirs, lots of stores; friendly people; etc.... You can walk to the beach in 10 minutes. If you get there early - like around 1/2 hour after your ship docks you can walk to the beach; rent chairs and umbrella - we negotiated 2 chairs and an umbrella for $10.00 - you get to keep it all day; even if you go shopping. Just let a couple of the guys there know that you are returning. They are very good about that. There are also other deals such as - 2 chairs - 1 umbrella - and a bucket with 5 beers for $20.00. Those deals are posted all over the bars/restaurants along the beach. All in all, my favorite port! Love the ambiance the beach; people; all of it. :)

We had previously been to St. Thomas so we decided to walk to town as usual. Taxi drivers/Bus drivers will tell you it's over two miles. It's not. When you start walking to town there is a huge sign - blue and white which shows it's a short-cut - 1 mile - to town. Don't be concerned that it looks like a parking lot - go through the lot and you will find beautiful high-end stores; boats; scenery...etc.... My son and daughter-in-law at at the Parrot restaurant in town. You have to go up some stairs. They ordered some type of bean/meat wrap which was bursting with flavor.. Wish I would have gone with them (they brought 1/2 a sandwich for me) We walked around St. Thomas; went to Bluebeard Castle - climbed the steps there; unbelievable views and great time. We were given a "guest" pass to see Amber Falls; the store/museum was unbelievable, truly not to be missed. There is also a small bar on the way out. The Sky Ride was closed for several weeks so we could not take the ride we had planned on. All in all, great port.
Read 2323 St. Thomas Reviews