Celebrity Eclipse Cruise Review by Cruise Virgin 53: Holiday Camp On Water

Holiday Camp On Water

Sail Date: May 2013
Destination: Europe - Western Mediterranean
Embarkation: Southampton

This was my first cruise and will certainly be my last (with Celebrity. My wife had previously sailed with P&O on 4 other occasions and thoroughly enjoyed the experience. We decided to give Celebrity a go and whilst it has many good features, there were a number of areas I felt it did not live up to expectations.

Cabin/Bathroom/Balcony
The cabin and bathroom are very well appointed although it could have done with having additional European plug sockets or preferably UK sockets given that the vast majority of passengers on European cruises are British. Another BIG complaint was the fact that I was unable to smoke on the balcony - I know smokers are treated as pariahs these days but I specifically booked a cabin with a balcony for this express reason.

Cabin Attendants
We had no complaints about the service or the level of cleanliness of the cabin however, they insisted on hosing the balcony and patio doors down just after 8.00am most mornings. This proved More very annoying as it not only woke us up but also rendered the balcony unusable with it all soaking wet as well as the furniture.

Dining/Bars
Eating in the main Moonlight Dining room was a fairly pleasurable experience with generally attentive staff. The food served often lacked flavour, was warm rather than hot and vegetables pretty non-existent. Another point was that they ran out of Merlot 3 days before the end of the cruise!!!

The Tuscan specialty restaurant was a different affair altogether. Whilst requiring a $70 surcharge for the pleasure of us both eating in there, the food and service were excellent.

The Ocean View cafe should be renamed the Ocean View CANTEEN!! Generally the food was just above being chilled (unless you went for fresh cooked items) - I never saw a thermometer in existence to check food core temperatures - even the the Big Yellow Arches company are much hotter on this. They regularly only had one coffee machine working each side causing queues all the time. There was often a distinct lack of seating unless you timed your dining. Being self service, there were no trays (something you do get in a proper canteen) which often meant having to make multiple trips to get drinks and food. Again much of the food was uninspiring (I've had better salad selections in 2 star hotels in Spain).

The last 4 days of the cruise, it appeared that there had been an outbreak of Norovirus - this simply exacerbated the problem in the Ocean View as it went from self service to staff serving which lead to even colder food.

I agree with previous comments about the bars being predominantly in 'corridors' but nevertheless, this wasn't a real problem. We started to use the Quasar nightclub - given the general age range of the passengers, the general emphasis seemed to be be on 'typical' nightclub music with little variance until we managed to persuade the DJ to take requests.

On Deck Facilities
Whilst there were 3 pools, in no way was it possible to 'swim' in any of them - they were positively tiny. There were 4 smoking areas on the ship and each one was situated in probably the draftiest areas of the ship which coupled with the ban on smoking on one's balcony meant that smoking was a less that pleasurable experience apart from the people you met in these areas.

Disembarkation
I was actually quite impressed with this where you were allocated a time to meet in the Theatre before being guided off the ship. Less

Read more Celebrity Eclipse cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Celebrity Eclipse Review >>

Cabin review: Celebrity Eclipse 7360

Lack of European/UK sockets, no smoking on balcony