Carnival Splendor Cruise Review by rju713

Carnival Splendor
Carnival Splendor
Member Name: rju713
Cruise Date: May 2013
Embarkation: New York (Manhattan)
Cabin Category: 6B
See More About: Carnival Splendor Cruise Reviews | Eastern Caribbean Cruise Reviews | Carnival Cruise Deals
Value-for-Money 5+

Carnival Splendor 5/17/2013
This is my 10th cruise and my fifth cruise with carnival (I have cruised RCCL 4 times and yes I do prefer carnival. thats right I said it). Before leaving I read all the reviews and was incredibly nervous about some of the things I have read. The complaints I have about this ship are VERY minimal. It was a clean ship, never TOO crowded, and I had the time of my life. We ordered from Bon Voyage and the bottles were in the room by the time we boarded the ship. Embarkation wasn't too terrible either. Very standard. Got there at 1230 was on the ship by 120 and in the room by 125. Ship is pink but it wasn't as overwhelming as everyone said. Very exaggerated. I prefer the look of the Legend more but did this ruin my cruise? no. We had an ocean view on the main deck and the room was really spacious and nice! not once did i feel cramped for space.

Entertainment was really awesome. I loved the punchliner comedy club and so did everyone else. The only issue was that it was very difficult to find seating as they hosted it at el morocco which is a lounge and I would arrive 20+ minutes early and have to stand. Still enjoyed myself. Only wish that they had the comedy shows on port days as well. We really missed it while in port.

Most of the staff was amazing. Our assistant waitress Miluska from Peru really needs to be promoted immediately. She was so attentive to our table and our needs, and I understand that is their job, but she went above and beyond. Really excellent. Sadly not all of the staff was as amazing as her, as sometimes at night we would see one of the blonde dancers in her name tag yelling at the poor pizza chef drunkenly and holding up the line. Sure, have a good time and definitely get your drink on but it kind of put me off to see the staff being so drunkenly rude to another member of the staff with guests around.

Tex was the perfect cruise director. Not too many announcements. Entertaining and to the point. Really enjoyed and appreciated him.

TV: 28 channels. Never once were any stations blacked out. It froze once and was fixed in 30 seconds. 3 complimentary movies in addition to the 2-3 they would show on the big screen per day.

VIFP party was awesome. Waiters brought drinks frequently. Speaking of drinks, drinks on the ship in general were not too expensive and were definitely not watered down.

Didn't go into any pools but I went into the hot tubs. Which were luke warm. I dont like it too hot but I was shivering and so was the person I came with. Also there were babies in the hot tubs. Seriously a kid in a diaper with his parents. Better regulation would have been nice but it didn't ruin my day.

Casino was a blast. I don't gamble but the person I came with does. Most of the dealers were really awesome. Michael from Scotland gave me an attitude a few times but the rest of the dealers were really a pleasure. Red Carpet dance club was a huge hit. Im not a clubber but I checked out the scene and it was always packed.

The ports were okay. Half Moon Cay was surprisingly my favorite, as well as everyone else I spoke to. I've been to Nassau many times, and Grand Turk was nice but not as beautiful as Half Moon Cay.

Deli was awesome and so was the grill. Pizza was good. Buffet was average and dinner was too. If you're not a fan of something at dinner you can easily get something else. Really very simple. If you're hungry the deli is open until 11 pm. Food isn't outstanding but it was good. There are enough options to satisfy you.

Prior to embarkation I read a lot of reviews that really made me nervous. The decor of the ship isn't going to ruin your time, or the fact that you can't walk straight through deck 3 and 4 because of the mid ship restaurant (BTW had the same problem with explorer of the seas in case anyone thinks this is the only ship ever like this. its a slight inconvenience and I didn't mind). I met great people, loved the cruise, had a wonderful time, and it took everything in me to not hide in a closet instead of getting off the boat. Worth every penny and would have done it over and over and over again. If you're a carnival fan, you'll be a carnival fan after this cruise. if you like fun you'll like this. if you don't like fun then i would suggest another cruise line.

Publication Date: 05/29/13