Star Princess Cruise Review by bestnana2007

Embarkation: Seattle
Destination: Alaska
Cabin Category: F
Cabin Number: E-406
See More About: Star Princess Cruise Reviews | Alaska Cruise Reviews | Princess Cruise Deals

Ship Facts: Star Princess Review (by Cruise Critic!) | Star Princess Deck Plans
The Star Princess is not a Star
This cruise to Alaska was our second one. We have sailed on Princess 5 times and on five different ships (Sapphaire, Caribbean , Ruby, Emerald and Star and this is the worst ship out of all. At the bottom of the Totem Pole.The following are the reasons why we will never sail on the Star again.

We disembarked out of Seattle The disembarkation process was very long, very crowded and we stood in line over an hour. No where to sit. When we have gone out of Ft. Lauderdale and Brooklyn, they put you into groups and they are called one or two at a time, and there are seats to sit in while you wait. We got on the ship by 1:30 pm for a sailing time of 4:00 pm. When we got to our cabin, my husband's (Vinnie) luggage had arrived but mine didn't arrive until just before dinner about 6 pm. and they were dropped off at the same porter, same cart. This being the first Alaskan cruise of the season, I figured that the ship and crew would be in tip top shape, but alas they weren't.. The worst offenders were the wait staff in both The Capri Dining and the Horizon Court Buffet.They seemed to be in a hurry to take orders and serve and were very un-accommodating. Every time we asked for something they questioned it and on many occasions said they couldn't do it, or they had to ask a supervisor Two examples....One lady at our table wanted hot caramel for her ice cream...the response...Can't do it, Don't they have a microwave in the kitchen. They finally relented and got her some hot topping. yet Vinnie had a hot dessert for dinner (Banana's Flambe'). I celebrated my birthday on this cruise. When it came time.to have my special cake, I requested that I just take it to my cabin to eat later. I was told that it had to be cut before I could do that. On previous cruises this was never an issue. They finally relented.I had brought a bottle of wine from our cabin, it was already opened, but the waiter still charged us a corking fee and the wine didn't have a cork at all (just a screw cap) And again on previous cruises this was never an issue.When he asked for our room card, he was very demanding about it. When Vinnie questioned the matre'de , his response was rude and abrasive "We sell wine on the ship". Does that mean that since they also sell clothes that we must buy their clothes and not bring our own????? From that time on through out the cruise, the matre'de wouldn't even look at us when we came into the dining room. The ship wasn't clean. We were eating on the Lido Deck at one of the small tables by the windows. By these windows, there is a ledge that has drains (I assume when they wash the decks, that is where the water is supposed to drain. These ledges were full of water and there was foreign debris floating in it. If there is one place that should be extra clean, that is where people are eating. In the Horizon Ct. during breakfast, you had to wait and wait for coffee and juice and getting refills were the worst. Sometime we were just invisible cause you practically had to hit the server in the head to get their attention. The windows on the Lido deck were dirty in places. Things were always late starting. We went to a movie one night in the Vista Lounge. It was a half an hour late starting as the film guy apparently couldn't figure out how to get the picture on the screen. When he finally did, the film was very grainy, very poor quality.Since that was the day that we were in Glacier Bay, they had all day to figure out how to make the movie work., so in my book it should have started on time. The one show in the Princess Theater that I went to was so disconnected and made no sense that I decided once was enough for me.

The best part of the cruise was our cabin steward. His name was Sandrie and anything we needed or wanted he made sure we had it.

Finally, I can say had this been our first Princess cruise, it would also have been our last . We are now at the Platinum Level so we aren't new cruisers at all We know a good ship from a bad ship. We have made a decision that we WILL NEVER SAIL ON THE STAR AGAIN.

Publication Date: 05/29/13