Norwegian Breakaway Cruise Review by roses_rem

Home > Reviews > Member Reviews > Norwegian Breakaway Cruise Review by roses_rem
Norwegian Breakaway
Norwegian Breakaway
Member Name: roses_rem
Cruise Date: May 2013
Embarkation: New York (Manhattan)
Destination: Bermuda
Member Rating   5+ out of 5+
Rates 5+

Breakaway or bust
We planned on arriving around noon but arrived early, so we ended up walking from Penn Station all the way to the pier. We will not do that again. Upon arriving at the pier, we took in the beautiful ship and were pleased to walk straight on board with no waits. We had to wait a few minutes before our room was ready but put our stuff away and headed to the Garden Cafe. After a quick bite, we toured some of the ship before finding a seat on the deck for the sailaway party. Once we started backing out, thick black smoke came from the stacks and we were glad to have been close to the front of the boat. Seeing New York in a whole new perspective, as this was my first northeast sailing, was a beauty. Seeing the Statue of Liberty, the 9/11 memorial, and us going under the bridge was a memorable experience.

Throught CC, we had our meet and greet Monday morning and with so many people there, it was hard to figure out who was who. A few staff members came and introduced themselved including Mr. Sheehan. We then split off for the slot pull as well as the cabin crawl. I went to the cabin crawl as we were showing our room. It was interesting to see the various room types but we split from the group to attend the shopping presentation in the Manhatten Room. This is where the problems began. The projector wouldn't allow for the picture to be shown in full so the staff member just showed us what he could.

We attempted to see Rock of Ages but the electrical board went down three times during our performance and with 40 minutes left the Cruise Director came out, so we knew it was a real problem. After waiting a few minutes, she came back out and said she regretted to inform us that they could not restore the power but since we waited to long, they would sing acapello. They received a standing ovation for at least trying to leave us with a good vibe. They then cancelled the next show and rebooked us. The same problem happened the next night. But by Thursday night, the show went on with no problems and we were able to see the full show.

Bermuda was very welcoming to us and the people very friendly. We purchased the 3 day ferry pass, although next time we will only purchase a 2 day pass.... We took the ferry to hamilton so we could have the best selection at Crisson.... being as though we were one of the first cruises, I was surprised that the Fruitz Philip Stein watches were only a limited selection. When we asked about this, they informed us that the stock would not be in until June 5th. They had maybe 10 watches and 3 were purchased while we were there. Also, the Bermuda exclusive charms and cruise, camera, and touristy charms, they only carried 2 of. We found the best gifts at Flying Colors upstairs but beware. They have dice key chains on the 1.50 rack but in other places in the store at 3.00. I was also charged for 1 extra shirt but they quickly fixed that problem when I brought it to their attention. We also made a stop at Horseshoe Bay beach and gladly paid the 1 down and 2 up for the shuttle ride and my sister has a broken foot. I didn't find the sand to be very pink but it was nice nonetheless. We also went into the nook and snorkeled for a few, seeing the 2 large fish and maybe 15 smaller fish.

We also made it to Sea Glass Beach, the one right outside of Dockyard. Noone was there and it was def a must see. Someone has taken it upon themselves to scratch off the un in unlawful to take the seaglass. We explored Dockyard and bought some rumcakes and also purchased something from glassworks. Then I saw the 50% off table and while some things were visibly messed up, many were minor and I purchased a few figurines for friends and family.

We planned on making it to snorkel park on Friday but after the rude greeting we received on Thursday evening, we did not go. They have a luau type show with fire dancers from 8-10 and we planned on attending. their website ssaid the show was 20 and for the food from 6-8 was an addition 18 I believe. The cruise line originally had an excurion there, although it disappeared while onboard, for $44. We were shocked to see the price was actually $44 when we arrived and would not pay $44 for a 2 hr show there. Even the locals were shocked when we told them the price they were trying to charge.

Back to the ship.... Although we heard lots of negative comments about the ice bar, we loved it. We made a reservation and went in. It was nice to snap a few pictures of the ice sculptures and get our 2 drinks we paid for. My recommendation is to know what 2 drinks you want, come after you eat something, and drink your drink, get your second and get out of there. The experience was dampened by the people who were complaining because the freezer was cold. Umm what part of ice bar makes you think of warm and fuzzy lol. We would have went again if we had time. We did all the arts and crafts and loved them all. I even attended the kids art and crafts with team nick, as I left my 2 year old at home. He loved his Bob-Bob Pants tote bag and tshairt as well as the beaded geiko I made him. We made picture frames and journals in the regular arts and crafts.

As far as the food, I was not wowed by anything. In the main dining rooms, they had Brocoli Soup every night, as well as the New York Strip Steak and Salmon every night. They also served their specialty of the night which I never tried.

Burn the Floor was a def must see. Cirque had some wonderful costumes and was a great show. Our premium seats left something to be desired. We arrived 45 minutes before the show started to get in line but were way back in line and placed behind 5 people and blocked by a pole. I informed the waitress that I was allergic to shrimp and they made sure I was given just steak. O'Sheehans food was ok but small. they gave you 4 cheese sticks, 6 wings, and the cabbage and corned beef was small and fatty.

Now onto the murder mystery lunch we booked 45 days prior to the cruise. At 7:00am on the day of our show, we were awoken to a call saying our show was cancelled due to a sick cast member and rebooked for Saturday at noon. I thought it was really cancelled because honestly noone was booking it when you looked on the touchscreens. But, upon arriving at the show, the stowaway was not at any of the comedy shows so who knows. Anyway our murder mystrey turned into 2nd city comedy crew doing a dysfunctional family reunion. I understand things need to change but giving me a heads up would have been nice. We found out the night before that it was changed and was too late to cancel it. They served shrimp as well, so I informed the waitress that I was allergic to shellfish and she told me she would just give me a regular salad. She brought me the romaine heart with dressing drizzled across where you could clearly see where the shrimp had previously been on the plate. I guess the waitress wanted me to go into convulsions on the floor or be in quarantine like some of the other passengers. I politely told her I would not be partaking in the appetizer.

Spice H2O was really windy and had little seating. It was the location for the fireworks and was soo crowded that you could barely see the people you came in with. The fireworks were shown at 1115 but were def nice to see. They attempted to have the Quest game show in Spce H20 as well, but it started raining. None of the staff knew where it would be held but it turned out to be in the atrium. Since kids could view the show, it had to be PG13. While still funny, was not quest.

I had never been on a 7 day sailing with NCL before but would come back as I had a good time. The hot tubs were nice but since it was soo cool, we only used them a few times. The pool was heated which was nice but as previously stated, it was cool on deck 15 so only had a few people in the pools. The water slides seemed like fun although we did not partake in them either. I cannot wait to be aboard the Breakaway again with my son so he can enjoy the kiddie area and all the fun activited Splash academy has to offer.

Publication Date: 05/28/13