Bermuda was perfect! The Grandeur was far from perfect.: Grandeur of the Seas Cruise Review by alligeek
Overall Member Rating
Bermuda was perfect! The Grandeur was far from perfect.
- The ship was beautiful. It's elegant and the decor is nice without being over the top.
- Bermuda is gorgeous. I can't wait to go back.
- The bartending staff was very attentive and efficient. We found the bartenders in the Viking Crown Lounge to be very good at what they do. (Ask for Consuelo or Waylon!)
- Our room, an aft Junior Suite, was great. It was big enough that 4 of us could sit and play cards on a rainy day at sea, and the balcony was my own little private paradise for a week.
- Embarking in Baltimore was a breeze--we live 20 minutes from the port, which helps. We left our house at 11 am and were in the More Windjammer by noon.
- The Adventure Ocean staff was great. They were very welcoming and tried their hardest to make sure that my 3 year old son had a good time.
- The aerial show in the Centrum on the last night was lovely. We were fortunate enough to get there early enough to be able to see--unlike the folks who showed up after us.
- The food was ok, but the "new" menu seemed to absolutely baffle our MDR waiter. He incorrectly answered questions about the entrees (like, "Are the mushrooms in the sauce?") and couldn't seem to remember who ordered what. It took us well over 90 minutes to get our (incorrect!) entrees. We ended up having dinner at the Windjammer as often as we visited the MDR.
- I did smell that infamous sewage smell around the center of the ship, about 2/3 of the way from the bow to the aft. It seemed to only be in that area, though.
- Some of the staff in the Windjammer were downright rude. I purchased the soda package and like to drink Diet Coke with breakfast (I know--it's my odd vice). A couple of the servers in the Windjammer refused to get me Diet Coke, saying that the bar was closed. I knew that this wasn't true because a couple of other servers were able to get my Cokes. In fact, one of them told me that there was no Coke available as I was holding a nearly empty glass.
- Our assistant waiter in the MDR charged us for an additional bottle of wine, which turned out to be a pain to fix.
There were some great things about this cruise, and I had a great time, but there were some obvious "misses" as well. It seemed like many of the staff members are in a state of transition--a few I talked to said that they had joined the ship with us in Baltimore, and someone in our group who did the behind the scenes tour said that the head chef seemed unhappy with the new menu.
One person in our group, a loyal RCI customer, said that this was the worst RCI cruise he has been on. I will definitely return to Bermuda, will likely try RCI again, but I'm not sure I'd sail on the Grandeur again. Less
Read Cruise Critic’s Grandeur of the Seas Review >>
INTERESTING TO SAY THE LEAST L...
Loved the Norwegian Breakaway!...
Not a great value anymore
Another Great Cruise
Starting to show her age
Great staff and shows, the shi...