Norwegian Breakaway Cruise Review by ingytunes: Inaugural Bermuda Cruise

Compare Prices on Norwegian Breakaway Bermuda Cruises

Inaugural Bermuda Cruise

Sail Date: May 2013
Destination: Bermuda
Embarkation: New York (Manhattan)

Once we had parked at pier 88 I was taking pictures on the beautiful Breakaway from the outside when I was approached by security and told I was not allowed to take pictures !!! I found that strange, but then we were treated to a convoy of army helicopters flying up the Hudson river and so we took pictures of that instead.

Embarkation could not have gone any smoother for us and before we knew it we were in our Large Balcony room. We were very happy with the extra room on the balcony as the regular balconies looked rather small from our vantage point, and we ended up spending quite a bit of time enjoying the balcony once we reached nice weather in Bermuda.

As for the cabin itself, we loved the layout, and the ample room & storage it provided for a balcony cabin as we have been spoiling ourselves to suites lately, but could not afford one on the Breakaway! I loved the fact that we had a small but efficient coffee maker in the cabin as that is the first thing I like to More enjoy each morning.

The TV was a modern flat screen and offered many automated features that allowed you to book restaurants, entertainment & excursions.... And oh yes even gamble ! The bed was very comfortable and we got well rested on the first two sea days.

We quickly got used to having our room key in the slot as you enter the room which triggers the rooms electricity, and used the "Do Not Disturb" & "Make up Room" buttons often, but to be honest I miss the wheel, but I am willing to embrace the new technology, more about that later.

The entertainment on the ship was A1, our favorite was the Cirque De Soleil, but most people showed up an hour early, so if you're not one of those people, I suggest for you to save your money and just book the regular priced seats, they may even be better than the tier two premium seats.

The burn the floor was very entertaining and it was a second favorite. I really thought Rock Of Ages was going to blow my socks off since I am an avid music fan, but there were technical delays twice during the show, and it just did not flow properly for me. I will have to try that one again once they work out all the kinks. We did not see any of the comedy or the jazz/blues bar, but will look forward to those on our next Breakaway trip.

The ship itself was a pure delight, we just loved the atrium at 6-7-8 place, we often enjoyed a latte and desert at the Carlo's kiosk there, and we may have spent a little too much time in the Casino !!! but had a blast doing so. The shops were OK, the layout was not fantastic, and the Breakaway souvenirs were very expensive.

We liked the way the pictures got displayed each in these numbered binders, but I think they have to teach the staff to handle the pictures carefully as a lot of them were covered with fingerprints. And be sure to pic up your pictures before getting back to New York or you will have to pay a tax once you are docked.

All over the ship there are automated touch screens on the walls where you can again book restaurants, entertainment & excursions, not to mention get directions to your cabin if you get lost. They hang on the walls just like pictures and are a great touch.

The "Oceanview" terrace was my favorite, it was pleasant just to stroll along, and there was always comfortable seating all along, not to mention the ability to dine outside.

The food was the same as most Norwegian ships, but I must say we never had to wait to be seated in any of the dining rooms, and there was always a place to sit in the buffet area. We did not do any of the specialty restaurants on this cruise, with the exception of La Cucina, where the freshly baked bread and the amazing service was just to good to ignore.

The service throughout the ship was incredible, we even recognized some staff that previously had worked on the Celebrity Summit which also does the Bermuda cruise. Our room steward Claudia was an ace, and always took care of our needs 100% percent.

We could not have asked for three more beautiful May days in Bermuda, the weather was ideal and we got to enjoy this amazing island for the three days. It is our third time to Bermuda, and we never get tired of its beauty and the welcome feeling we get from the native Bermudians.

Overall we really enjoyed the Breakaway experience, was the high inaugural price $ worth the rewards we got for being the first... NO, but I am glad I was one of the first anyway. We will be going from the largest Norwegian ship, to the smallest "Sun" on our next cruise. I look forward to being able to afford a suite again.

Happy Cruising