Norwegian Sky Cruise Review by KPookey: Great trip, as expected

Compare Prices on Norwegian Sky Bahamas Cruises

Great trip, as expected

Sail Date: May 2013
Destination: Bahamas

I will refer to other reviews of this ship that I read prior to departure, just for perspective.
Overall we enjoyed the cruise (my husband and I) and found it very similiar to the Majesty 3 night with the same itinerary on RCCL. I will breakdown my comments into areas.
Departure and arrival- we got to the pier at 11:30ish via taxi from Miami Intl at cost of $25/fixed rate- took about 15 mins. We checked in quickly and were in the 4th group to board. Boarding started at 12:00ish. Once on the ship we were herded toward the buffet. We went to Crossings- as I read online it was superior to the buffet. NOT SO in our opinion. I found the sit down lunch just OK.
Stateroom- inside forward deck 9- loved deck 9- stateroom small as expected, steward was nice. It was clean, but a little worn. Yes, TV is a little tube, but I came to party and sit in the sun-not watch tv so this was fine with me.
Pool area- lively, did not have issues finding a chair. Pool itself is More under-whelming, but once you get to the islands you have the beach. There are some great quiet areas in the front of the ship on deck 11, I think- just above pool deck.
Drinks- comparable in price to other lines- wine was a small pour and as much as a cocktail, not a good value. I thought drinks were fairly strong. Wine 7 and up. Cocktails 6 and up. Example Mai Tai...$8 ish including 18 percent add on. One note though- although there is automatic gratuity on drinks and restaurants, the crew seem to really want tipped. I tipped a bartender the first day like .75 cents on a cocktail hoping she would make drinks strong.
Food- food was ok in the dining rooms. Not excellent, but not something to complain about at all. The price was right on the cruise, so I did not expect gourmet and did not get. Buffet is crowded. Its quality was fine. Try hitting the buffet in the back on the ship, it was always less crowded. Honestly, I did feel pampered on the cruise, enjoyed not being at home and cooking all my meals and the food was plentiful. We went to Cagneys with our cruise credit (note below on that). Cagneys is awesome! We had filet, very good and dessert- forget about it! Two glasses of wine and dinner at $78, I thought value was so-so. Here in Pittsburgh that is a little expensive for that meal. Only complaint on the sit down dinner in main restaurants is that it is repetitive from night to night. One note on food- I thought the pool deck cookouts- the first and third day around 3 were great.
Great Stirrup Cay- nice island, bathrooms were clean. It was easy to get to. It is under construction and I have to say the RCCL Coco Cay was nicer, but all in all this island was just fine and very pretty. They bring lunch to the island and around 11:30ish there is water in the food pavilion which is free.
Nassau- I was planning to go to Cable Beach, but had enough sun on Fri and Sat, that we decided to tour Atlantis. We opted for a water taxi...MISTAKE. The taxi operators were hectic and confusing. We waited 10 mins in the straw mkt before we were taken to the taxi. On the taxi, a guy talked at us the whole time about some interesting, some not facts and upon arrival literally shoved a hat in my face for a tip. I mean shoved and said Don't be shy. Sorry, I did not tip him. Also, the walk from the taxi is pretty far to Atlantis...10 mins on foot at least at a good clip. Atlantis is huge and pretty, but if you dont pay you dont get to see much. We ended up walking another 5 mins to the public beach- Cabbage. It is breathtaking- sooo beautiful. There are locals trying to sell things, but we did not find it to pushy. We got a umbrella for $10 and a coke for $2 from the locals. Note- fellow Sky passengers took a taxi and a similiar price and got back to the ship alot faster than us. Don't use the water taxi. We had the same issue coming back, we walked a million miles back from the beach to the taxi, waited to depart and it seemed to come back even slower. All in all it took us close to an hour to get from Cabbage on foot to taxi and back to ship. Again, returning we were shaken down for a tip.
We did not go to the casino, the shows were ok at best, but that was ok with us as we went to bed early most nights. The shops are typical. I read someone saying you pay for coffee- that is only in the coffee bar. I did buy a coffee, price was the same as Starbucks and it was pretty good. We did go to the gym, which is double the size of the gym on Majesty RCCL and really nice.

One other note about pricing. We took advantage of a sale which gave us $15 On board credit and room upgrade. Then we each opened a NCL credit card. Promotion at the time gave us $150 for opening card. I used my $150 toward price of cruise and my husbands $150 as onboard credit. I then used my card to charge like crazy for about 2 mos and got another $50 onboard credit. We had initial credit of $215- we used for drinks and Cagneys. We got off only owing the tips. That was an excellent value to us. We did tip the waiter at Cagneys addl and also our room steward. I don't like the auto tips and I don't think the crew sees much of the money, but its the way RCCL went too. I hope this helps you, I read a million reviews before I went on the SKY and they were all helpful. I would not hesitate to go on SKY again if I wanted a quick getaway at a pretty good price. Less

Read more Norwegian Sky cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Norwegian Sky Review >>

Cabin review: Norwegian Sky 9308

Cabin 9308- great to be on deck 9- near pool and buffet and stairs, also it was quiet.