Volendam Cruise Review by lovely_serenity

Cruise Date: May 2013
Embarkation: Vancouver
Destination: Alaska
Cabin Category: D
See More About: Volendam Cruise Reviews | Alaska Cruise Reviews | Holland America Cruise Deals
Member Rating   Not Rated

Ship Facts: Volendam Review (by Cruise Critic!) | Volendam Deck Plans
Holland America ms Volendam Review 2013
My cruise started on May 1, 2013 and would go on until May 8, 2013. We would board the ship in Vancouver and sail up to Alaska. I sailed with my parents, my older brother and my younger sister. This will have been my seventh cruise. A week beforehand, we got an email saying that the ship was coming Asia and there had been a gastrointestinal outbreak on the last trip. 0_0 Yikes. They delayed boarding and going into your rooms for 2 hours. Normally in HAL, I heard that your rooms are always reading as soon as you board. Due to the gastrointestinal disease, they also had a 48hr period which banned people from serving themselves. This made lining up take FOREVER.

Ship:

Elegantly decorated ship, it was nice and spacious. Had very nice live music at night which were cleverly located so the music in your ears never overlap.

Food:

Hit and miss. Some food was really good, and others weren't. Mint chip ice cream there tasted like toothpaste (and I like mint chip). I disliked the prime rib, it didn't taste like anything. I didn't even want to finish it ïOE Cherry Burghandy ice cream was awesome though, served in a waffle cone. Best thing about the trip was the hard ice cream available all day. They were SO good.

Afternoon tea was lovely, attended nearly all of them. There are special ones too ex. Royal Dutch, Indonesian and Cupcake. I liked them all (since I have a sweet tooth), as they all had delicious snacks.

Activities:

Nearly nothing that interests me on board. Only things would be meals & afternoon tea & chess. Not many activities at all.

Port:

My third time to Alaska, Ketchikan still my favourite, others are boring and small. Glacier Bay was beautiful though, very cold. They served Dutch Pea Soup at the Bow & Outside decks.

Room:

Beds were SO comfy. Every time I lied down, I fell asleep, even during the daytime. Room was spacious and a lot of storage space. Irritating handle-less drawers. Not enough hangers. Amazing smelling body soap in shower.

Embarkation/Disembarkation:

Outstandingly fast. Fastest disembarkation I have ever had. They just scanned your card and you left. Boarding was really fast too.

To read my extensive review (Live from Trip Report) with MANY HD pictures (1080p+) depicting every single thing I did on board, please visit my thread on Cruise Critic Message Boards at:

Publication Date: 05/27/13
Read the Alaska ports review by lovely_serenity
More Volendam Cruise Reviews