Norwegian Gem Cruise Review by deweydjb: Gem May 11 2013 The good and bad.

deweydjb
Member Since 2004

Compare Prices on Norwegian Gem Bahamas Cruises

Gem May 11 2013 The good and bad.

Sail Date: May 2013
Destination: Bahamas
Embarkation: New York (Manhattan)

I will try to keep this concise, for you review readers, so you can get the highlights.

Embarkation - went well, no problems, on ship before noon.

Cabin - delightful.. glad for the mini suite. Lots of space for clothing - many drawers, big bathroom and liked the curtain that could divide room so you could nap while the other person was out in the sunlight.

Spa - delightful. I bought the thermal suite package and so glad I did. Went to the spa every day, used the hydrotherapy pool, and the heated chairs and the deck chairs to read.. managed to read two and a half books.. the spa was delightful, got a massage and a facial and the staff really were friendlhy and helped me to relax.

Food - some venues better than others. Honestly from now on I will think twice before booking a specialty restaurant. The Teppanaki was fun and delicious, and I really liked La Cucina.. Orchid Garden was ok, and Cagney's was a bit pricey but just OK. The More service was good. Some of the best meals I had on board were in the regular dining room. Though, they sometimes lacked variety.. they need more choices of appetizer and soup with dinner, as they do on other cruise lines. Had a wonderful stuffed pork loin in the main dining room.

Vegetarians bewere.. not many choices and mostly pasta. My partner had a hard time.. and now they have TWO steak houses on board, got rid of the latin restaurant that had veggie choices. Cagney's does NOT have an exotic veggie dish as it should.. the chef DID prepare something though, and did not charge my partner when I ate there.. but it was penne pasta again.

Public Spaces
I hate them. They are small, and cramped and always filled with a lecture that is bassically a sales pitch ALL DAY. Either that stupid Park Gallery, or the Tanzantie guy, or the shopping expert or the spa or something EVERYWHERE on the ship. It cuts relaxation. the Gem has a great coffee bar in the Atrium but you can't enjoy it because there is AlWAYS a sales pitch going on in the Atrium.. this is NOT a time share, I paid my money, back off a little. It gets really annoying. I spend time on my balcony, or in the spa.. no where to go during the day.

Entertainment - good. Big musical shows I enjoyed.. a comedian (I don't like them so I didn't see him but he was there) The Second City Improv (very good) and the Piano Bar was amazing.. Laurie Anne was fun and personable. I was there almost every night.

Night Life - maybe this was a Disney cruise but people brought Children to the adult night venues ALL THE TIME.. even the Adult white party. Kind of made me mad and I DID say something to a staff member and they basically shrugged. I really don't feel like purchasing a cocktail and dancing with an eight year old.. that is kind of weird to me, so we left. Saved us money on drinks I guess . Funny, though, as they enforced the rules when I tried to eat at La Bistro in dress shorts, even though hardly anyone was in there. I was turned away. Guess I am not eight anymore.

Disembarkation was pretty organized, and got off in a timely manner. Less

Read more Norwegian Gem cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Norwegian Gem Review >>

Cabin review: Norwegian Gem 11130

Bigger bathroom, lots of closet space, back of ship, close to elevator.