Carnival Spirit Cruise Review by Sundowners: Not for me

Not for me

Sail Date: May 2013
Destination: South Pacific
Embarkation: Sydney (Australia)

Having only ever cruised twice before, I feel I am not very qualified to make this, my 1st ever review....but here goes anyway.
My fears of "Carnival" being just that, were realised a soon as I embarked aboard Spirit.
The words, gaudy, poor taste, disjointed, garish, juke box and circus, all come to mind.
The cabin was good, clean and comfortable, except....the air temp thermostat didn't work and at one stage the toilet ceased to work, making the bathroom a rather unpleasant place to be.
The ships general design is strange. There is only one deck on which you can "promenade" right around and its right at the top, on deck 10.....and the lifts only go up as far as deck 9. The so called "Promenade" deck (deck 3) ends forward on both Port and Stbd sides meaning you need to turn around and go back the way you've come, or go back inside.
There is no dedicated picture theater showing movies. If you want to see a movie, you can do so in your cabin at the price of $11 each More movie.
The main theatre, the Pharohs Palace, is big, but its poorly designed and the upstairs area is very disjointed and in some spots dangerous. The shows they put on there however, ranged from mediocre to very good.
There is no high up elevated, enclosed, observation deck,(such as the crows nest on Volendam).
The food service areas on Lido deck 9 are too small. People with food on plates were always bumping into each other and it was almost impossible to find a place to sit to eat.....AND The meals weren't anything flash either.
The characterless cruise director thought he was funny. Many others thought so too, but even more thought not. He could learn a LOT from others in the industry.
Carnival Spirit tries to cater for everybody, but fails. It was my 1st and definitely my last Carnival cruise, and I will aim my future cruise enquiries at lines like Holland America.
I couldn't wait to get off the thing and I'm pleased to say that the disembarkation ("Debarked" according to Carnival) process went smoothly and very quickly. Less

Read more Carnival Spirit cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Carnival Spirit Review >>

Cabin review: Carnival Spirit Balcony Upper 5252

Good clean cabin, but no control over air temp. No rooms opposite, so this area on the ship was relatively quiet, traffic wise. However, there was LOTS of thumping and banging from the cabin above, probably kids. There was also a LOT of noise from people slamming their balcony doors.....but the ship IS just a floating block of flats.