Anjodi Cruise Review by MIT72: Great crew -- Unsafe bed configuration

Great crew -- Unsafe bed configuration

Sail Date: May 2013
Destination: Europe - River Cruise
Embarkation: Other

European Waterways operates the Anjodi, but we booked through Abercrombie and Kent (A&K) through our travel agent. Unfortunately, A&K did a very poor job of relaying information. Most importantly, A&K never passed on the warning that having the cabin configured as two single beds was strongly advised. All our paperwork just listed our cabin as "twin/double." I don't remember if we were asked our preference, but I know that unlike the other two couples on our cruise, we were not strongly advised to request single beds. (A&K also specified the pick-up point incorrectly -- which fortunately our travel agent had corrected, and also gave us the final itinerary backwards, so I was very confused about what we were doing when we arrived at the Anjodi.) We would have gone with singles if so advised.

If the cabin is configured with a double bed, it entirely fills one end of the cabin and one person must climb out over the other. The bed is 30 inches high with two drawers under More it. The second night of the cruise when I needed to go to the toilet in the middle of the night, I fell crawling out over my husband and broke my foot. I was trying to be very careful and had taken the cabin flashlight into the bed with me, so that I could see what I was doing. I might have been able to catch myself and avoid the injury if I had not been holding the flashlight. The staff were very helpful and attentive both before and after the accident. The captain spent the next day with me at the emergency room. The French emergency room doctor told me I had to go home immediately, insisting that I needed surgery within six days. (The orthopedic surgeon at home took the French cast off, put my foot in an AirCast "boot" and told me that the fracture would heal naturally.)

If you encounter a problem, the only way to summon the crew in the middle of the night is for someone to exit the cabin, go up several steps, cross the lounge and ring a buzzer. The crew being young sleep much more soundly than we do in our 60's. My husband had to buzz repeatedly to get ice for my foot after I fell.

The other problems we noticed with the cabin were that the sewer gas smell built up so on our third (and since we were evacuating for our emergency return early the next morning, our last night), was quite strong. The couple in the cabin across the hall complained about the "cat piss" smell the previous morning.

With so few passengers, the chef asked about allergies and likes and dislikes when we arrived. After that we just had to wait to be surprised. The wines were excellent and we enjoyed the cheeses. The food was good, but not spectacular. Less

Read more Anjodi cruise reviews >>