Veendam Cruise Review by GreatKarma2U

Cruise Date: October 2012
Embarkation: Montreal
Destination: Canada & New England
Cabin Category: N
See More About: Veendam Cruise Reviews | Canada & New England Cruise Reviews | Holland America Cruise Deals
Spa & Fitness 5+
Value-for-Money 5+
Rates 5+

Ship Facts: Veendam Review (by Cruise Critic!) | Veendam Deck Plans
Canada/ New England on the Veendam...A Dream Vacation!
Hi I'm GreatKarma2U living in British Columbia but originally from Nova Scotia. Our Dream Cruise almost never happened, let me explain. My holidays weren't confirmed by my employer before the week we had to reserve our Cruise as there were only a few suites left. I knew I had the time in my Holiday bank so I booked the flights and cruise less than a week before it was set to depart. I knew I had to go home to NS for a family visit as it was long overdue, over 15 years had passed since I'd stepped foot in my home town and my father's health was an issue along with the fact my common law wife has never been further east than Alberta, boy was she in for a big surprise when she meets my fellow bluenosers :)

On Friday, we flew off to Montreal to connect with the Holland America Cruise Ship. It was a treat watching my wife's eyes light up as we took in the magical sights of Montreal and Old Quebec city, then the magic happened when we disembarked in Charlottetown PEI and rented a vehicle, we shot across the amazing Confederation Bridge connecting PEI and New Brunswick. Enjoying the beautiful road trip as we shot through to my hometown of Springhill NS. It was a magical moment as we pulled into my parents yard and I heard my Mom yell " They're Here! " Out came my Mom & Dad and Beagle and puffy tear filled eyes were unavoidable by all. We had a short but special visit with family for 2 1/2 hrs before trekking back through NB across Confederation Bridge and back to Charlottetown and dropping off the rental car with only 15 mins before our Ship was set to sail...we made it!

We would enjoy a beautiful time in Cape Breton the next day but the following day we would be blessed with a meet-up with my parents who drove to Halifax ( our next stop ) and took us on a personal tour of Peggy's Cove. Another beautiful day with my parents and Aunt and Uncle from Halfax and we were back on the ship and on our way to Bar Harbour Maine. My wife was flying high since the start of the cruise. An engagement ring had caught her eye and she always said that she wanted to pick it out and nothing ever caught her eye, this one did and I made sure she got it, both of our hearts pounded during the purchase and her glowing smile was worth every cent. We had such a memorable cruise from start to finish and thought what the heck when asked to purchase a Cruise Lottery ticket. On the last day of the cruise before disembarkation the next day, we thanked the staff with a standing ovation in the ship showroom, then the Cruise Lottery was drawn and we couldn't believe it! We had won a choice of a Caribbean or Mexican Holland America Cruise!! We both were so very grateful for such a Dream Cruise Vacation and count our blessings indeed :)

Publication Date: 05/22/13