Independence of the Seas Cruise Review by arnhem12: Apalling

Apalling

Sail Date: May 2013
Destination: Canary Islands
Embarkation: Southampton

Children under 14 noisily roaming the ship unsupervised at 2am, dreadful food, staff only interested in tips and the sort of accommodation usually found in a Travelodge - not a 'Stateroom', I was extraordinarily disappointed in this 'cruise'. I travel a lot for work and pleasure. I've stayed in everything from 2 star hotels to the 7 star Emirates Palace, and I know the Hospitality industry, even though I don't work in it. This was really poor. In the Dining Room we were greeted each night by a creepy and somewhat oily Eastern European 'Head Waiter' who frankly brought down the tone of his far more effective Philipino/ Asian staff. He had no people skills and was pretty ineffective at dealing with pretty much anything.

The entertainment was even worse - I do work in this industry and regularly hire performers - I wouldn't give this Entertainment Director a second audition, let alone a job. I'm not sure who this stuff was for. The constant muzak played everywhere else was More awful and seemed stuck in the 1980s - again I'm not sure who that was for.

There were port stops at Viggo and La Coruna in Spain which were wholly unspectacular and pointless, and yet our stop in Madiera was woefully short. Often for ports RC advertised shuttles at the cost of $12, without telling passengers that there were other free options available once onshore.

In conclusion this was a total rip off Less

Published 05/22/13

1 Helpful Vote

Read more Independence of the Seas cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Independence of the Seas Review >>

Compare Prices on Independence of the Seas Canary Islands Cruises

Cabin review: E1 Deluxe Oceanview Stateroom with Balcony

Nasty carpet. The sort of hairdryer I'd expect in a Backpackers hostel, no toiletries, no robe, no slippers. The in room tea/coffee facilities were also worthy of a Travelodge, rather than a 'Deluxe' room. We were kindly left a note halfway through the holiday because we could smell that they were obviously having issues with the drainage. It asked us not to use too much toilet paper. How much is too much?:- after all there were no bidets. The Shower was broken - water helpfully coming out of both ends.

Read All Deluxe Oceanview Stateroom with Balcony (E1) Reviews >>

Small but perfectly formed. The cruise compass said the shops would be shut because it was a Sunday. A cruise ship with 3,000+ people on board docks in your port, and you keep your shop shut? The places was buzzing.

Lisbon itself looked tired and dirty and the people were not pleasant. Don't bother with the catherdral, take a trip in one of the Elvadores, and skip the rest but head for Belem which is much nicer.
Read 509 Lisbon Reviews

Wine Tasting

Great tour - the restaurant was so lovely that lunch rather than wine tasting would have been nice

Best of Tenerife - Lava and Fire

Family & Children
Rates
Value for Money
Share feedback
Thank you!  Cruise Critic values your feedback.
How can we improve this page?
Skip X