Queen Mary 2 (QM2) Cruise Review by Strawberryflds: Not quite up to standard, but still had a fantastic time.

Strawberryflds
Member Since 2007

Compare Prices on Queen Mary 2 (QM2) Baltic Sea Cruises

Not quite up to standard, but still had a fantastic time.

Sail Date: March 2013
Destination: Baltic Sea
Embarkation: Other

We have been back a few weeks now and finally decided to throw in a few things that we noted about the QM2. I'm not an enthusiastic pen to paper person, so will put them in point form.

Cons

* No welcome or any information given on embarkation of the ship. This was one of the things that really let the ship down, as we had no idea if our room was ready to go to or if we should try and find our way to lunch. A small welcome aboard and a suggestion of what where to go first would of been nice.

* Some of the staff at the pursers desk let the team down. They were rude and condescending to an elderly gentleman in front of me who was obviously having trouble understanding his itemised bill. I personally also found them to be rather unhelpful and really need to be further trained in customer service.

* The Kings Court had the strangest layout and it was extremely confusing trying to figure out where we could eat what. The meals in this area at times were More well below standard, but other times we had great meals so I guess its just a bit of give and take.

* Communication by staff could of been improved...we found we were continually having to ask about when we had to set our clocks back/forward, what time we were meant to be back on board...etc. These are little things that staff could of easily assisted with that would of made daily planning just a little easier. On previous cruises, our waiter would always say at some stage during dinner or when we were leaving not to forget to turn our clocks back/forward.

I don't want to sound like I have completely trashed the QM2, as there were some aspects that I loved. Firstly, the library. I spent hours in here on some ship days and the range of books/magazines they had were a real credit.
Secondly, the food overall in the Brittania was great. I enjoyed nearly all my meals there and the waiters were quite friendly and seemed to enjoy their job.
The range of activities was pretty good, we enjoyed going to art classes and participating in the QM2 choir.

Overall, it was a great experience and I enjoyed every day. However, I didn't find it that special that I would go out of my way to cruise the QM2 again, unless the itinerary was one that I really wanted to experience. Less

Read more Queen Mary 2 (QM2) cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Queen Mary 2 (QM2) Review >>

Cabin review: Queen Mary 2 (QM2)