Carnival Fascination Cruise Review by Georgia Travellers: Started rough, ended smoothly
Overall Member Rating
Started rough, ended smoothly
Booked this cruise to coincide with school Spring Break for the better half. Was super excited because neither of us had been to Key West. Roughly 8 weeks prior to selling, received an email saying that Key West was cancelled and switched to Little Stirrup Cay.
Not to mention that when we sailed last year on the Paradise, we went to the presentation and as a couple purchased two of the Future Travel Vouchers for $100 with up to $200 onboard credit. No one said at that meeting, nor was there anything on the certificate, that stated only one certificate could be used per cabin. So when we booked this year's cruise, it was very frustrating to know that there were "hidden" limitations on the redemption. Had we known last year that only one certificate could be used, we would have combined and just purchased one.
While we were initially very disappointed in the change and just about took the offer of a full refund, we decided to stay with the cruise. LSC was beautiful More and very relaxing. After talking with several others about Key West, was glad that the change was made.
Once we boarded, we went directly to our room to drop off the carry-on bags. With the BH being a diabetic, we had requested an in room refrigerator for her insulin....and even called back 2 weeks prior to sail date to confirm.
After we arrived on the ship, we were able to go to our cabin and put away our carry-on items. At that time, there was no refrigerator in the room. We went to the Guest Services desk to enquire about the refrigerator and
- was told that all of them had been given out and that there would not be one available for our cabin.
- After about 20 minutes of Catherine checking with housekeeping and talking with us, we were told that our only option would be to have the insulin kept in the medical center OR that we could keep it on ice in the room.
o Keeping insulin on ice is not a viable option, since it cannot be allowed to freeze.
- Since BH takes insulin during the night (and as needed throughout the day), keeping it in the medical center would have been a great inconvenience because:
o During the night, we would have to wake the nurse
o Walk to the Medical Center to meet the nurse so that BH could take the appropriate dosage of insulin
o A trip to the Medical Center would have been required BEFORE any meals or snacks
- At that point, Sergey came out and attempted to help us by finding a refrigerator. After another 15 minute wait, he was still saying that there was no units available for our cabin.
- Right about now, the BH was really upset and saying that we should have cancelled the cruise and that this was going to be a miserable trip.
- This was not exactly the best way to start off the much needed "FUNcation" that we were looking forward to....
- 45 minutes of waiting, the BH was ready to get off of the ship and head back home. Only after we inquired about getting our luggage returned to us and being allowed to leave the ship with a full refund did we finally get some resolution. We had even at that point asked if there was a cooler on board that we could use to put ice in the bottom of and then place towels on top of the ice so that at least the insulin would stay cool without the risk of freezing.
- It was then that Sergey made a call to housekeeping/maintenance and had them remove a refrigerator from a cabin that didn't need it for medical needs....and had it moved to our cabin.
- First hour on-board spent waiting at guest services and being stressed out!
- And yes, there were lots of apologies and we're so sorry statements, but this never should have happened.
From that point on, the trip took a 180 degree turn. Cabin steward was wonderful, great wait staff in the Elation dining room. We did the anytime dining and never waited more than 5 minutes to be seated.
Comedians were great, could have been more shows for us! Really enjoyed the Divas show and the Motor City show.
To top it off, on the last afternoon, the dear BH won BINGO and paid for all of our onboard expenses, gas to/from Jax, and for parking!!!
Enjoyed it so much, we're going back again later this year! Less
Read more Carnival Fascination cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Carnival Fascination Review >>
Quick, but Awesome, Sky Getawa...
Really enjoyable - give it a g...
Great first time cruise for us...
Great value short cruise from ...
Cruise on Fascination
Worse cruise ship in over ten ...
not suitable for english guest...