Celebrity Summit Cruise Review by taracruiser: The good, the bad and the ugly

taracruiser
Member Since 2003

Family & Children 4.0

Compare Prices on Celebrity Summit Bermuda Cruises

The good, the bad and the ugly

Sail Date: May 2013
Destination: Bermuda
Embarkation: Other

I've been on 10 cruises including this one, previously with Celebrity, HAL, NCL and one Regent cruise back when it was Radisson. This is my first one traveling with a 21 month old. My husband and I are 40. My prior celebrity cruises were

The good:
Embarkation was relatively quick. The staff at the port in Bayonne was good and helpful. I only wish we had gotten there sooner (thanks NJ turnpike).

The Fun Factory for kids was great. They always let us in, even when they had older kids in there. I didn't leave my child there because I felt she was too young, but it was a nice place for her to run around. We met other parents there too. Staff was friendly and professional with the kids. They gave us goodies such as crayons, a stuffed Celebrity star and a cooler pack.

The food overall on the cruise was very good. I can't say I had a bad meal there. We usually ate at the Oceanview Cafe (buffet on deck 10) for breakfast and lunch and the Cosmopolitan More for dinner. We managed to switch to the early dinner seating by the second night. Our dinner companions (2 older couples) couldn't have been better, considering we had our toddler with us. Some nights we had to skip dessert but otherwise she did well. Wait staff was good about bringing her the only two foods she'd eat. I loved the Rooibos herbal tea offered. It's one of my favorites and it was nice to have it each day. We didn't dine at any specialty reasons due to price and having a young child with us.

Staff - wait staff, photographers, stateroom attendants, etc. were always smiling and helpful throughout the ship.

The bed in our stateroom was comfortable. I had no back pain the whole week. We requested a pack & play for my toddler, which we got. I knew ahead of time that it doesn't include a mattress, so I brought that. She slept well most of the week.

The bad:
Cleanliness of the ship. It was clear why they failed the most recent CDC inspection. I had sent an email to the CEO prior to sailing and was told "onboard menus were the main cause for the low score, as they were lacking proper public health consumer advisories". After sailing, I can't see what onboard menus have to do with having staff cleaning tables, wiping surfaces and proper food handling. There were areas where I saw food bits on the floor and debris that should have been cleaned up. It seems that they have let the Summit go and focus on their newer ships. I'm a believer in not doing something half-baked. If Celebrity isn't going to put their all into each ship, they shouldn't sail that ship. The stateroom wasn't cleaned well prior to and during our stay. There were smudges that should have been wiped up better and dust underneath the minibar. Either stateroom attendants are overworked and can't clean each room well or they just don't care. I can't believe it's the latter. On several occasions, I saw buffet servers sneezing and coughing in the food area. Not exactly inspiring confidence to eat there. I'd say the Summit was the dirtiest of all the cruise ships I've been on and I wouldn't cruise on it again.

Disembarkation was slow.

Room 8076: good location, though we could hear noise from the pool deck when the band was playing. Wasn't cleaned well, could hear some noise from neighboring cabins. Bathroom is in bad shape. The shower is almost falling apart. There's a lot of wear and tear in there.

The ugly: The worst thing of all is Celebrity's indifference to its older ships. It's clear that they are focusing on newer and bigger ships. Then they sail the older ships out of Bayonne. I'd recommend they give the Summit a burial at sea, sail the nice new ships out of Bayonne and NYC. There's a wealthier demographic up here and money to be made. At least give us good ships! If not, then I doubt I will sail Celeb again and will either go back to HAL or try another cruise line. Less

Read more Celebrity Summit cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Celebrity Summit Review >>

Cabin review: Celebrity Summit Concierge Class Penthouse Deck (6) 8076

King's Wharf isn't the best part of Bermuda. I'd rather dock in Hamilton or even St. George's. The King's Wharf end of the island is extremely windy. Hamilton is more tranquil and there's more to do there, plus shopping. At least King's Wharf has a ferry which is a nice means of transportation to Hamilton.