Star Princess Cruise Review by GHChik: Loved our cruise!

GHChik
Member Since 2010

Compare Prices on Star Princess Hawaii Cruises

Loved our cruise!

Sail Date: April 2013
Destination: Hawaii
Embarkation: Los Angeles

We booked this cruise to Hawaii as we began to anticipate the grace of God in granting my husband a 5 year cancer free CT scan in early April. Five years ago, that seemed like more than impossible. Scan after scan revealed that God had done "immeasurably more than all we could ask or imagine." When your oncologist is surprised that is proof that only God could do this. So, we planned this cruise over my husband's birthday to celebrate...with a long and relaxing way to get to Hawaii!

I read an unfavorable review by another cruiser and so it is easy to see that the same trip for one is completely different for another. We enjoyed every moment of this trip. We were blessed to meet 6 new friends at our assigned early dining table...and have a wonderful waiter and junior waiter. What fun we had!

We also loved meeting new people to join up as teams at Trivia...everyone was so inclusive and friendly! Our embarkation/disembarkation was smooth and we decided on the trip More to return to the airport via Princess transfers. Good move. This was less expensive (which isn't always the case) than catching a cab or van. We experienced a temporary "loss of luggage" when the bus driver could not find our suitcases but then finally did in a compartment housing luggage for another drop off. Minor glitch.

Our Princess excursions had a few issues but we enjoyed them nonetheless. It was interesting to read the review for the Beach Snorkeling on another review because we were on that exact same excursion. Goes to show that 2 people can witness the same thing and see 2 different things. Yes, the "beach" was not what we pictured. Yes, the surf was rough (in fact I didn't last long because I ended up motion sick from the experience--and yes, I mean sick.) This excursion was a reach for me but I wanted to do it for my husband. I will always remember his concern for me as we entered the water...but most of all I will remember his huge smile and "babe, thank you so much for this...I saw a huge turtle and followed it for a long time...and I got to see the octopus that Paul (one of the guides) coaxed out of its hole! It was awesome!" I also heard the conversation the other reviewer mentioned about the sand on the wet suit...Paul was totally joking with Marilyn. Paul was our van driver and despite my nausea, I enjoyed his humor a lot! He even commented to me when we returned to the ship that he wondered if I was OK because I was not smiling at his jokes. I told him I had gotten sea sick and he told me to drink ginger ale...which they had already provided. The other guide, Colin (who was in our van) was the one who took me back to shore with reassurance that i had not interrupted the group as I apologized...he told me "no, this is what we do...whenever you have had enough we get you back safely!" Colin was also the one who searched for a plastic bag for my trip back to ship (yup, still feeling icky.) It was interesting that the other negative review mentioned the guides looked like "surfer dudes." When I first saw them at pick up I leaned over to my husband and said "they are the real deal...should be a great time!" It was a highlight for my husband...and worth my need to sleep off the effects;) I am not challenging the other review...their experience was their experience...we thought Paul was hilarious and the other guides so attentive. To hear Paul say he loves what he does was telling to me...because yes, it is obvious that he loves the ocean...but to take 2 tours a day off a cruise ship and make sure they are safe and have an enjoyable time is saying a lot. All of his comments as we arrived about how we were going to do everything was because it could be dangerous...in fact he had to "rescue" several people in our group who got to far into the current. Enough said.

We do not need night life so having 4 days to relax to Hawaii and returning to LA was a gift to us out of our way to busy lives. Cell phones in the safe (except for US ports) is why we love cruising. The staff was wonderful. The CD even led Sunday worship. This is a trip we will remember forever (despite finding our camera did not make it into our suitcase)...we have limited cell photos...and new friends that we be so forever!

Our weather was perfect and seas were fairly calm (although Pacific swells made for constant motion that was more of an issue for me after my snorkeling issue.) Another lesson learned. Loved this cruise.

Aloha! Less

Read more Star Princess cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Star Princess Review >>

Cabin review: Star Princess Mini-Suite with Balcony Dolphin Deck D704

We booked our first mini-suite to have more room for this 14 day cruise. We had a wonderful and cheerful cabin attendant. This room is right off the Port Aft elevators but we only heard people in the hallway a couple times. We had no issues with the location. Being close to the laundry facility during a long cruise was nice!

We have been to many Mexican Ports, but this is my least favorite Mexican port ever. I understand the need for "touching a foreign port" but getting off the ship to take a walk is all we cared to do. Bought nothing and was glad to get back on ship.
Read 243 Ensenada Reviews

Pearl Harbor

(4)
There was a mix up in our pick up due to dock change, but we found them. The "tour" did not offer a lot more than quick drive through a cemetery overlooking the city and drop off at Pearl Harbor with ticket to await going to USS Arizona (which is hard to get over) Booking the tour to secure our tickets for the USS Arizona was worth it.

Snorkeling

(5)
This was very fun for my husband who followed over top of a huge sea turtle for quite a while and also saw an octopus! He loved this! I ended up sea sick...but enjoyed the trip anyway. This company is great. I wrote more in my Star Princess Hawaii review.

Place of Refuge

we were on an afternoon tour and the morning tour was late returning. The Princess organization was very lacking as we waited in the hot sun with no signs designating what tour we were waiting for. The Painted Church was supposed to be a stop, but we were told that because it was Sunday we could not go there. No attempt was made to add some sight seeing or to refund any portion of the cost. Place of refuge was beautiful and the stop for Kona coffee sampling was fine.