Celebrity Century Cruise Review by moderngal: This cruise needs a makeover

moderngal
Member Since 2013

Compare Prices on Celebrity Century Alaska Cruises

This cruise needs a makeover

Sail Date: May 2013
Destination: Alaska
Embarkation: Vancouver

THE SHIP - The Century is the oldest ship in the Celebrity fleet. As I researched prior to the trip, the reviews on the ship were mixed - some said it was dingy and in need of a remodel, others said it had a high quality, luxurious feel to it. I would agree with the former. The ship was run down - this was more evident in public spaces such as the martini bar, and a few of the restaurants. The state rooms weren't great either. It looks tired and needs major renovation NOW.

THE ROOMS - I sprung for a suite with a patio as this trip was for my husband's birthday and I wanted us to have a great room. Our suite (1136) was at the back of the ship and directly under the main restaurant's patio. About an hour into the cruise, I realized how loud our room was going to be. We couldn't hear voices necessarily, but we could hear the scraping of wood patio furniture on the wood deck. This became very irritating over time as people were constantly sitting outside during daylight More hours (8am-10pm). After two days of the noise, I requested a room change of our butler (Olga - she was fabulous). 24 hours later we moved into another room - a regular stateroom - we had been downgraded as no other suites were available. We knew this prior to moving, but selected the small, quiet room over our existing suite in order to preserve some sanity. It was a HUGE bummer to feel as though we were being punished for expecting peace and quiet in our room. It wasn't Olga's fault - she did what she could to help us. The most frustrating part is that there are several solutions to the noise issue for the 10th floor suites - rubberize the deck, bolt the furniture down. I'm sure they get complaints on these suites every single cruise - why not just take care of it?! It ruined an important part of the cruise for me- being able to relax in the room, read, etc.

THE ENTERTAINMENT - I felt like I was at the vacation property in Dirty Dancing - that's how retro/awful/cheesy the entertainment was. Most of the daily activities were free, but the underlying theme is that they are constantly trying to sell you something, anything. Everything needs to be modified in the entertainment realm - throw everything out and start over. It was horrible.

THE FOOD - Great, everything I had was darn good. The drinks were moderately priced.

THE STAFF - Excellent. Friendly. Accommodating.

ALASKA & EXCURSIONS - Amazing! Loved it.

I wouldn't take this cruise or ship again. Too many negatives. In the future, I will look for a brand new ship with a variety of entertainment options. And I will study the diagram of the ship intensely before selecting a room. Less

Read more Celebrity Century cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Celebrity Century Review >>

Cabin review: Celebrity Century Century Suite Penthouse Deck (10) 1136

Loud all the time from above patio noise of main restaurant.