Carnival Glory Cruise Review by Izlander: Great Ports

Member Since 2010

Compare Prices on Carnival Glory Eastern Caribbean Cruises

Great Ports

Sail Date: May 2013

Embarkation We arrived at the port by 11 and I have to say Miami has been the worst port ever for embarkation! DH is platinum and we had to wait in line for an hour, when we eventually were allowed through they told us to go to the Captains lounge upstairs, in our efforts to find it (the staff were no help) we were actually allowed through security up to where people were getting on the ship without a sign and sail card! Absolutely terrible! Our family with FTF was on the ship 30 minutes before us. I was totally not impressed and the excuse that the people in the port didn't work for Carnival so they wouldn't know where to send us does not wash at all.

The Glory is lovely and clean, well maintained with a subtle decor. I'm not sure I like the location of the burger bar it takes away quite a lot of seating. The burgers are very good! Carnival has really cut back on the food and its availability, there was only one buffet open and it was a 20 minute wait to get something to More eat, it also seamed rather limited, fish chicken or roast beef along with root veggies.

The Breakfast Buffet is pretty standard, with long lines that took up to half an hour to get through, some mornings they were out of bacon or sausage. We made sure we went extra early if we had an excursion to go on.

The Dessert buffet is lacking in choice, in the past there have been up to 20 items to choose from this time maybe 6-8. I think new cruisers will be amazed at the amount of food but for ones that have cruised for years you will notice the cutbacks.

The Chocolate Buffet was rather sad, last year on the Freedom it took up a whole buffet serving area this one took up the normal dessert buffet stand and a little middle section of the buffet area in front of it, they were still serving regular food either side of it.

If you were returning from an excursion after 2.30pm the only thing open for you to get something to eat was the burger bar or Pizza (which never had anything ready).

We ate dinner in the Golden dining room our waiters were great but the headwaiter who's name I won't mention tended to be a little over friendly and it made me uncomfortable, the chef does need to learn the meaning of "well done", everything I ordered came back medium ( I ate around the pink). The food was good and hot, the service was fast and efficient. If you want a drink with dinner I suggest you go get it yourself before hand because the bar service is terribly slow. They have cut back on bar staff and it seams there's only one or two for the whole restaurant. What I didn't like is they come around with Shot Glasses trying to get people to do shots while eating dinner, I thought that was rather tacky.

The Maitre D Caasba was fantastic, he was by far the best one we have ever encountered he visited EVERY table EVERY night. My Sister in Law has food allergies and he took care of it within minutes to where her food was specially prepared to avoid cross contamination. Something I noted that was strange, usually Carnival leaves an envelope in your cabin for tipping the Maitre D, there wasn't one this cruise and there was no mention of it either, we went and got one from guest services because this man seriously deserved tips!

Our Cabin was on the Lido Deck our steward Phillip was great, he was in and out of our cabin in a flash we would go to breakfast and our room was always done when we got back, he always had a smile on his face and was just a lovely guy.

One thing to note is they have changed their internet and if you need to check in online (southwest) you have to pay $35 for a day's internet. Plan to have someone take care of it for you at home. I ended up texting my daughter and having her do it for us.

We had a great time and did enjoy the ports, I am disappointed in the cutbacks Carnival has made particularly with the food, it totally sucked spending 20 -- 30 minutes in lines. As for entertainment ... what entertainment? They have cut back on the shows and play repeats through out the week. Seams all they want to do is push alcohol so they increase their profits. Less

Read more Carnival Glory cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Carnival Glory Review >>

Cabin review: Carnival Glory Balcony Lido 9254

9254 is situated slightly forward of mid-ship, you can feel the ship rocking and rolling, if they have live music on the Lido deck you can hear it plainly on the balcony.

Nassau is not my favorite port, we walked to the Queens Staircase and Fort Fincastle ($1 entry fee), be aware that the streets do not have the best signage, it took us a while to find it but it was really pretty with amazing views. There are "tour guides" who try to corner people to get tips, walk past them if you can.
Read 2646 Nassau Reviews

We took a taxi to El Morro ($15) and purchased entrance to El Morro and San Cristobal forts ($5 each) the walk to San Cristobal takes about 15 minutes, both were stunning the views were spectacular, we both love history so we spent about 4 12 hours exploring the forts the 17th century graffiti was cool. Make sure you wear sunscreen and sturdy walking shoes some of the steps and hills are pretty hairy. Had a fabulous day for $25!
Read 1367 San Juan Reviews