Carnival Glory Cruise Review by didi_23_us

Member Name: didi_23_us
Cruise Date: April 2013
Cabin Category: 1A

Carnival Glory - old ship with new employees
I'll begin with the first day. We decided to meet with a Carnival staff member to get a 'tour' of the ship. Seemed like a fun way to begin our cruise. Two problems. The woman giving the tour had only been working on the boat a month. She failed to actually show us anything, we did not get shown where the mini golf was, where Serenity is, and she could not answer our simple questions. Dissapointing but we just kept moving on.

Soda card is no longer a card - but a sticker. Also - You can't purchase a Carnival Cup and get a $1 discount on each drink anymore. This resulted in me buying %80 less drinks then I have in the past. I think it was a bad decision to get rid of the cup. Drinks were weak and gross... made ahead of time at the Comedy Show and we could tell. Watered down from ice melting and gross.

Buffet kept closing in the afternoons when we returned from our excursions. Pizza line was extremely long because the cooks refused to cook what people wanted. No one wanted pepperoni... thats all they kept cooking so the line would back up all the way to the pool.

There was absolutely no HEALTHY option available to us after the Buffet closed. We could SEE the fruit - but were not allowed to get any. I am not a pizza, burger, fry person but had to - because that was all that was open.

First night on the boat. - the movie showing was Doctor Zhivago - a 1965 movie about the Russian Civil War. I was extremely disapointed. My 11 year old son and I watched the movie from the Hot tub because the constant scenes of Winter and SNOW were making us too cold to swim in the pool. I let it go thinking - they will have better movies later ( last Cruise I watched Amazing movies like Iron Man, Indiana Jones, and even the new Alice in Wonderland)

That night we spoke to a woman at the front desk about what time it would be in Mexico when we arrived. She could not tell us - she said this was only her SECOND WEEK. So then WHY is she working the front desk? Guess what? The next day we were off by an hour and we missed our excursion - luckily we were able to take the spot of the people after us - since they missed their time slot as well.

We tried calling the front desk that night to inquire about the next island's time. We were not able to reach a human using our room phone. We pressed several buttons and followed many directions. No one ever picked up. This is my 5th cruise - I know how to use the phone.

Our room had a broken shower line, a clogged drain, a broken hairdryer, and a light that flickered and made noise. ALL WAS FIXED - but we had to ask. Kinda dissapointed but I understand and moved on.

Next movies shown were a repeat of the ship excursions - for over 4 hours. Next day movie was 'Beauty and the Beast' - which started at 9:30 at night?? kids are all asleep. Bunch of grown adults sitting on the deck watching Beauty and the Beast was quite sad looking. Next movies were Field of Dreams and the Natural. and this is where I lost that 'happy feeling.' I got into the Hot tub on the last day of my Cruise... settled in ... and the movie started up. Guess what - It was DR. ZHIVAGO!! Again??

Cruise Director told us this was his last Cruise before he was done. It showed. The meet and greet with the Captian is both myself and my Son's favorite event - we got all dressed up and went to the lounge to meet him. Guess what - he wasn't in there. He was actually in the hallway by the casino - he was not in uniform - and he was not greeting anyone - but standing in a circle with other staff. We were soooo dissapointed. No photo with the Capt from this cruise.

While I have loved Carnival in the past - and had some of the best vacations ever - this one fell flat. I made the best of it, we ate a lot of Pizza instead of fruit. We played a lot of games and we sang a lot of kareoke.

I will be showing my son the pleasure of Royal Carribean Cruise Line next year.

Publication Date: 05/18/13