Norwegian Gem Cruise Review by Newlywed0406: LOVED the Gem!!

Newlywed0406
Member Since 2013

Compare Prices on Norwegian Gem Eastern Caribbean Cruises

LOVED the Gem!!

Sail Date: April 2013
Embarkation: New York (Manhattan)

Reading the negative reviews before hand had me DREADING our honeymoon cruise in April but let me say I have found that much of the complaining is probably from negative people. I imagine the wait staff and others do not take kindly to be treated rudely and thus the issues. We were kind and treated them respectfully and were treated as such. Grand pacific was amazing in all ways. No need to pay extra for the specialty restaurants. Food was excellent, and believe me I have expensive tastes. Service was impeccable.

Garden cafe crowded. Food under heat Lamps way too long. Ate there our first day and not much after that unless it was a quick snack between meals. The cold dishes seemed much fresher than the hot.

Dinner in the Grand pacific main dining room. Wait staff was great. Pleasant and offered more lobster. Portions are smaller than we Americans are used to but what we should be eating anyway. I prefer several small courses than one huge meal. I often had more than More one appetizer or dessert. We like to eat early and if you go at 5:00 when they open there is no wait. Food is excellent and atmosphere pleasant. Why anyone would eat at the buffet instead is beyond me. We ate all our breakfast and dinners here with the exception of one late night dinner at Magenta. Same menu as the Grand Pacific with half the professionalism and service. Still they were kind just not "on the ball".

Lunches were mostly at the poolside bar while at sea. Food was so-so. The barbecues poolside however were really good. Had one lunch at the grand pacific and it was our last day. Wish we had eaten lunch there more. Took several pictures of my food, the presentation was that amazing.
We played several games and always glad we did. What a ball we had. Laughed so hard I cried watching the newlywed not so newlywed game!
Room was exceptionally clean and well attended. Even wrote a "hero card" for our attendant Michael. He went above and beyond.
Sinan our cruise director was the icing on the cake. He is hilarious! He made all the shows we saw an extra special treat.

Watched the welcoming show. Loved it!

Hypnosis show was so so. Not sure I'm a believer but it was entertaining nonetheless
San Juan was nice. We visited an old castle. Lots of walking uphill. We even saw a really big wild iguana. The thing had to be 3 feet long without the tail. Very exciting.

Rented jet skis at a beach in St Maarten 90$ for an hour. Also Paid 7$ for a day long water taxi pass to and from the port to the beach. Lots of vendors to buy from.
You must see the show Colorz. Great dance/singing show.
"The man from mars" cirque style show was our favorite. The quality of all the shows was really wonderful.
If I could change one thing I would book more excursions such as island tours. You can't see a whole lot just waking around. We are going to start planning our next cruise on the Gem ASAP. Less

Read more Norwegian Gem cruise reviews >>