Norwegian Sky Cruise Review by Maryeveryday: Pleasant but not spectacular

Compare Prices on Norwegian Sky Bahamas Cruises

Pleasant but not spectacular

Sail Date: April 2013
Destination: Bahamas

Norwegian Sky cruise was pleasant; I knew what to expect since I had been on the same ship/same cruise in 2008. No, it isn't like the higher end cruise lines, but here are the positives: food is mostly good to excellent Service is very good in the restaurants and public areas. Clean ship; cabins quiet; entertainment enjoyable. Embarking and disembarking is fantastic. Hardly took any time at all, even going through customs.

The bad: Italian restaurant was abysmal; NCL could handle the buffets better (food often room temp or cold, a few unpleasant attendants); it was obvious the ship needs updating and restoration (e.g., rust in the bathroom); and surprisingly: there were 2 desk chairs on my balcony (yes, desk chairs, not deck chairs). Extremely uncomfortable. Other balconies had deck furniture, but not mine. Enrichment? what enrichment? Since I had been on this same ship 3 years earlier, I felt the ship and service dropped a notch. It wasn't awful, but this is More not the ship I would rush to recommend to someone without giving them the caveats first. It is an older ship and doesn't have the best itinerary, but for a quick getaway, it was fine. Less

Read more Norwegian Sky cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Norwegian Sky Review >>

Cabin review: Norwegian Sky 9130

It was fine; nothing to rave about. Balcony had 2 wooden desk chairs and a dinky side table; other balconies had deck furniture.

Beach Break

(3)
Was driven around the island, stopped at an extremely small shopping area, then finished at Taino beach.

City Tour

(3)
City tour was ok; basically learned about the economy of the island. It was informative but if someone thought they would see historical areas or beautiful landscapes, they would be disappointed. I frankly don't think there are any . . . . except the ocean/beaches, of course. Went to Taino beach. Surf was rough so could not swim.

Atlantis

(5)
Atlantis was wonderful. I had a day pass and was restricted to the aquarium, grounds, restaurant and beaches. Atlantis' campus is huge and there is a ton of things to do. The aquarium was neat but it seemed to me to need to have the tanks cleaned. There were many places to swim - lagoons, swimming pools, the aqua adventure. I wasn't sure if I was restricted from the pools, but the surf was extremely rough and I was afraid of rip currents. So I did go into a pool; no one said anything. It was lovely . . . .

Atlantis Aquarium

Bussed to Paradise Island to the Atlantis resort. A quick short ride.