Carnival Splendor Cruise Review by mad06028: Carnival Splendor May 1, 2013 from NYC

mad06028
Member Since 2011

Compare Prices on Carnival Splendor Bahamas Cruises

Carnival Splendor May 1, 2013 from NYC

Sail Date: May 2013
Destination: Bahamas
Embarkation: New York (Manhattan)

Background Information:

Hello, I am an experienced cruised and have cruised with many cruise lines. This is also my first review. My cruises have been with family and friends. I am in my early 20's. This cruise was mainly for a celebration for many of my friends who are graduating pharmacy school (It was like 75 percent graduating, the rest just wanted to go). More on them later. (O yea theres some inside jokes here, so some of you may smile when reading this (I hope)).

Travel To Port of Embarkation:

I took NJ transit from princeton junction to penn station. Then a taxi to manhattan cruise port. Fast, easy, fairly cheap.

The ship:

Yes, the ship is covered in pink, but after the first couple hours I didn't really notice it. The ships layout is kind of confusing compared to other ships but you'll get used to where to go in a day (Hint: deck 5 is your friend imho). Other than that, the ship is kept very clean on the inside and the outside. More I didn't hear about any sickness going around the ship so that was good and reflected on the cleanliness of the staff. I did hear about a person under quarantine but also heard she broke it (what a rebel!).

Activities:

We really didn't go to many activities, but the ones that went had said they were entertaining. We made our own activities like bringing catchphrase on board and playing that (shout out to club 1307). One activity I did on my own was go to the spa. There was a special for a bamboo massage and a facial. Highly recommended.

Service:

Service was very attentive. However, it might of been too attentive regarding drink service as I was constantly asked if I wanted a drink. But, they did remember my name and what I liked to drink after the first day which was very nice.

Port & Shore Excursions:

Grand Turk: All we did was go to Margaritaville and go in the pool. It was a great day even though my phone went into the pool. The drinks were big and strong and the pool was big and clean. Margaritaville is just a two minute walk from the pier. It was also a very short night for me that day.

Half Moon Cay: This was definitely the best beach that we went to. The sand was extremely soft and the water was nice and clear. We were near the pirate bar which was also near to the buffet area. The food was very good there. I did get some abuse there (it wasnt serious).

Nassau: We decided to go to the breezes at cable beach. It is an all inclusive resort for $65 dollars a person for a day pass. We had a group of about 35 people. People turned ratchet there. Once again, the drinks were strong, the beach was beautiful and the pool was big.

Stateroom:

"Mark and Dan's room" was kept very clean. It's not the biggest room in the world, but it was doable. House keeping and turn down service was always done when we were away from the stateroom. We asked the steward for ice the first day and the ice bucket was always filled from that point on. I felt very safe just leaving my valuables and electronics out of the safe while they cleaned.

Dining:

The food was for the most part very good. There was some fried shrimp at the end of the cruise that was very mediocre. Some people ate it, some people didn't. The dining room service is probably my biggest complaint. Before I go into that, I will say that the server, assistant server, and drink server were all very nice. However, I found service to be inconsistent and slow. We had the 6pm dining time and a couple times we had to order our dessert before finishing our entrees since it was close to the next seating. We had 3 tables of about 10 people each and this one time a table were eating entrees and I hadn't received an appetizer yet. To be fair, me and some of my table companions did order at least 3 appetizers a day so that might have something to do with it. Even with the slow service, we enjoyed our servers very much. They were very accommodating, taking pictures for us and bringing ketchup to this one girl who wanted it every day (even with steak, I still don't understand that).

Entertainment:

The casino was entertaining, except when taking my money. For the most part, the comedians were very funny. The couples show was amusing. The comedian juggler I thought was the best.

This next place deserves a paragraph of its own: RED CARPET. It actually isn't really a blow you out of the water night club, but most nights were so DUCK that it was really fun. There were two nights that had a high number of people in it, and the other nights not a lot (I didn't go some nights).

Children's clubs:

I didn't go but some people from my people went to club O2. I have no idea why but they walked out with flower names like daffodil and magnolia. I dunno what happened there.

Disembarkation:

It was easy. I had zone 14. Woke up at around 7am, packed my hand carry and left to go eat breakfast. After that had one last drink and walked down to pay the rest of my bill and walk around the ship one last time. (I went to red carpet that morning just to be on the dance floor one last time). Disembarked the ship , but it was raining like fack so decided not to wait for a cab and got a car service instead to penn station (it was expensive).

Summary:

All in all the cruise ITSELF was good, but not great. BUT, the people I were with really made this cruise. Now I'm going to get all sentimental. From the people I knew and were friends with for six years, to the people I got closer to and to the new friends I made, THEY were the people that made this cruise awesome, fun and duck. I have no doubt in my mind that this cruise wouldn't of been as good if it wasn't for their personalities and company. Remember, it's all about the company you keep. Less

Read more Carnival Splendor cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Carnival Splendor Review >>

Cabin review: Carnival Splendor Balcony Upper 6396

The cabin was standard for any cruise ship for its size. I believe the balcony is a little small.

We went to Margaritaville which is just a 2 minute walk from the ship. There is a huge pool there. Waiters constantly come around asking you if you want a refill or food.

One of the best ports i've been too and definitely the best private island I've been too. The sand was extremely soft and the water was very nice. We staying about 200 from the pirate bar for easy access to the drinks and food. The buffet served bbq style foods and was very good.

We went to the Breezes resort on cable beach. From the port it is about a 15 minute taxi ride. It is $65 per person, which is all inclusive of drinks, food and entertainment, all of which are very good. There were lots of things to do besides the pool and beach. An example of which is water aerobics (which is funny after people have had a few drinks).
Read 2624 Nassau Reviews