Norwegian Spirit Cruise Review by Koala_D: Norwegian Spirit - Alaska

Norwegian Spirit - Alaska

Sail Date: May 2005
Destination: Alaska
Embarkation: Seattle

We boarded the ship in less than 15 minutes!!

This was a beautiful ship..... and the number of passengers was small enough that it didn't seem over-crowded.

Our cabin was wonderful--- refrigerator and a roomy sitting area. We had a private balcony that was a nice place to sit and read while under way. (Oops ... I made a mistake above... this room was on the 10th level, not Deck 9).

FOOD WAS EXCELLENT !! We had so many dining areas to choose from, but our favorite was the buffet with an endless variety of tasty foods to choose from. Sometimes we ate inside, but usually we filled a plate and walked out to the open-air dining area at the back.... A relaxing and beautiful setting for our meals !!

Entertainment was first-class. Crew and service staff was very courteous, friendly, and efficient... absolutely NO complaints. You are able to see the bridge through big windows.

The Captain had personality-plus, and was often seen talking with More guests. On one occasion he appeared next to us, and handed me his binoculars to view the eagles in the trees.

Ports of call were all fabulous. My favorite was Skagway-- so picturesque! I also enjoyed Juneau, Ketchikan, and Prince Rupert. There were many things to see in each city, and lots of photo opportunities everywhere we looked. Don't miss the Mendenhall Glacier in Juneau. It isn't necessary to book an excursion for this. City tour buses run often, and I think the price was under $10 R/T. The ship travels up a fiord amidst icebergs after leaving Skagway. Big and little seals were sitting on most of them... so cute! At the end of the fiord we arrived at a majestic glacier-- wow! I saw several whales, the seals, and many birds (lots of bald eagles) during the trip. On the trip back we passed hundreds of seals on one rocky area of the shoreline.

Sailing was smooth. The weather was warm-- I could wear shorts every day. We had rain the last day, but we were at sea above Vancouver Island so it didn't matter.

Dress was casual mostly. A few people dressed formally one evening.

This is also a family-friendly cruise itinerary..... great for children. There is something for all ages to enjoy on this trip.

The scenery is breath-taking. I had never wanted to travel to Alaska, but now I am planning to take this cruise again in about 2 years with friends.

Disembarkation was efficient and easy..... but we didn't really want to leave !!! Less

Read more Norwegian Spirit cruise reviews >>