Carnival Fascination Cruise Review by briwilmot: First Timer

First Timer

Sail Date: April 2013
Destination: Bahamas
Embarkation: Jacksonville

Ok this was our first time ever cruise and I am going to try to cover the good and the bad.As background I'm 26 and was sailing with my husband and I have a history of motion sickness.

Getting one the ship was very easy maybe took a max of 45 minutes. I have heard a lot about how strict Carnival is with sneaking alcohol on board and that is defiantly not true.I stuck a bottle of airline rum in my bra and it didn't even set off the metal detectors.I also heard from several people who used Listerine bottles and water bottles with no trouble. My husband had a bottle of water in his backpack that was not shaken or anything. Also drink prices are not nearly as bad on ship as people made it seem. I'm from Atlanta and drink prices are about what we see in bars here. Maybe 6 dollars for a bar the most expensive cocktails are 9. I liked the Mocha Chocolate getaway and Pina Colada best. Although the Pina Colada's on Half Moon Cay were way better for some reason. In the future I want to More sail on a ship with a cheers card because we had about a $350 bar tab and I stopped myself from getting drinks a couple of times because of cost but we are fairly heavy drinkers. I highly suggest not going straight to Lido as soon as you get on the boat and look around a little first when you have the boat to yourself. Also two place were very hard to find which where the serenity deck( Go either down the stairs outside Coconut Grove or through the comedy club) and the front of the ship (Through the Place Theater on the side hallway.)

One of the worst thing about the trip was the water on the Lido Deck tasted awful and so did tea, coffee, or anything else made with it. This was only true of the Lido deck. I was pretty thrilled that one night I just wanted Orange juice for Mimosa's in my room and room service brought it to me so I didn't have to get it from Lido. I only got one grilled cheese sandwich from room service and didn't like it because the cheese was barely melted. The best thing I got out the dining room without a doubt was the lobster I wish I had gotten two plates of it. My Chateaubriand was a little disappointing since I have had before and it just was not that great. I didn't like my food that much one other night but usually I got an appetizer and soup so it was ok. None of the appetizers are huge like the restaurants here. Dinner took at least an hour and a half each night which stopped me from ordering more then one entree. The most important advice I can give is check your sign and sail accounts religiously because on Formal night we got charged for a $50 dollar bottle of wine we did not order.

The entertainment on the ship was pretty good. We really like Trivia games which make up a huge chunk of the activities, My husband and I got picked for battle of the sexes team captains and I got a ship on a stick and he got a medal. I felt really bad no one else who played got anything though. Any game with team captains only the captain will get a prize. I really like the skinny girl with long brown hair I think I name was Christy. I did not like the Activities Director Paul after we went to the game of love and he spent 10 minutes telling stories about farts. We went and saw Divas which was ok but only one girl was a really good singer and it started maybe 15 minutes after it was supposed to. I loved Sam who also did our muster drill. Even when he's just in the background he's really funny. I did not see Motown but at the end of the show everyone come out the main lobby which is super fun. They do a couple of songs and teach everyone a dance. I hated the Adult Comedy guy he was pretty racist and I've been to adult comedy before so I knew what to expect. I liked the Diamond nightclub the first night because they had a good DJ when we went back the other guy was not as good.

Hands down the best part of our trip was Rob at the Piano Bar. it sounds silly but when we left we felt like he was a friend. He was so nice and entertaining. If no one else is in there please go in and chat and let him play you some songs you will not be sorry.

Our room was great. It was way bigger and more comfortable then we thought it would be and it had two closets They actually play really good just on DVD movies on one of the channels. Our room Steward Patrick was amazing and think he opened a bottle of wine for me for free when he wasn't supposed to. He "got" what we were doing with our ice bucket. Interestingly since booked so late we got put in a handicap room which was a little frustrating since the shower had no barrier so every time we took a shower the whole thing flooded. We made a barricade of towels but it didn't work so well.

We went to Half moon Cay first and we had to be tendered into port. We were one the first boat across and got some great pictures by ourselves, The waiter going through the water with Champagne glasses taking pictures with people was pretty cute. Half moon Cay is seriously like Paradise it was the most amazing place I've ever been. The food was pretty good they do have options besides the burgers and chips I was expecting. They also come to your beach chair and offer drinks but bring a hat because shade is fairly scarce.

Going to Nassau after Half Moon Cay was a pretty big shock. It was way more developed and third world then I was expecting. Skip the straw market it was a bunch of cheap junk. We went a little off the beaten path and walked up to the Greycliff hotel since my husband loves Cigars. Word to the wise plan on walking everywhere because the drivers were insane and I'm from a big city. We never figured out if they drove on the left or right side of the road because we saw people doing both. The Greycliff was nice but the Cigar place kind seemed like a sweatshop which was upsetting. We also went to the rum place which was cool and the people were insanely nice. Someone gave me a gingerale in a souvenir cup for free since I wasn't feeling well.We went to the private beach at the Hilton which was worth every penny since it was very nontoursity and noncrowded. The beach itself wasn't that great but the chairs were good and you can see the lighthouse and the ships. The beach is just very small. The pool and outside area was amazing with lots of private cabanas and stuff. Very pretty. the drinks prices were insane thought and they didn't have a lot of food choice.

I have suffered from motion sickness my whole life and I did not meet one single person who didn't feel the ship move at some point or another, I had the patch which worked ok and never took anything else but please good make sure none of the medicine from the patch gets in your eye it was very unpleasant. I was only truly sick one time as opposed to just being uneasy.

Overall I had a great time and would recommend the fascination but I wanted to write a fair and balanced review. I think we are going to try a different ship next time but wouldn't mind going on this one again. Less

Read more Carnival Fascination cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Carnival Fascination Review >>

Cabin review: Carnival Fascination Interior Main E80

It was great.

It was ok. i really liked the Hilton.
Read 2645 Nassau Reviews