Celebrity Summit Cruise Review by Beantown Mike: Needs a Refurbishment

Compare Prices on Celebrity Summit Eastern Caribbean Cruises

Needs a Refurbishment

Sail Date: April 2013
Embarkation: San Juan

This was the second sailing on the Summit for my wife and I. The first time was back in 2004. The last 2 ships we went on were the Solstice and the Equinox. The Summit has been "Solticized" with the addition of the Martini Bar and QSine but I believe that is where any similarities end. The interior public rooms are still very nice but the pool areas and outer decks are in need of some serious upgrades. There is rust everywhere and all of the outer areas are in need of a fresh coat of paint. The teak wood and decks look like they are 50 years old. It also seemed like only 1/3 of the pool loungers had padding on them and the rest appeared very dirty. The pool areas also had no feel to them as the decor was virtually non-existent. Just white walls and chairs but no real decoration. The back deck is huge but hardly anyone ever used it because it was so nondescript. Just a bunch of chairs on a big open deck. Celebrity could easily add a pool back there and make it a quiet area, More which brings me to my next point.

Every day by the pool at 10:00 and 4:00 there would be a Zumba fitness class with the music blasting for 45 minutes. Very annoying if you were just trying to relax and read a book. Other times the DJ would be "spinning" his tunes by the pool like he was running spring break at some Miami hotel. I felt like Celebrity had turned into Carnival. I didn't get the memo that they were shooting for the 20-something dance club demographic. Note to the DJ: when you are playing music by the pool learn how to adjust the volume properly and get a real music library so I can tell when one song ends and the next begins. Oh yeah, I can hear the bass just fine, it doesn't need to be on 10.

Cabin:
We were in Cabin 7068. Basic balcony cabin but very small. There is plenty of storage but my wife and I found ourselves in each other's way quite a bit. Also, the bathroom had no electrical outlets in it which I thought was weird.

Food:
We only ate in the MDR 2 nights out of the 8. The meals there were good but nothing spectacular. The other 5 nights we at at either QSine or Normandie and 1 night we ate in Bermuda. This is where the food excels and is worth every penny in my opinion. QSine has iPad menus and serves the food in a kitschy style. Very creative and very delicious. Normandie is more of fine dining experience and the food there is excellent as well. Breakfast was your standard fare and was consistently good. For lunch, the pasta station and pizza were good but I thought the rest of the buffet selections were bland.

Entertainment:
Entertainment was hot or miss. The piano player was fantastic and the guitar players were very good too. There was also an illusionist, I think his name was Jason Bishop, who was incredible. A must see. Other than that it was your standard cruise ship entertainment.

The Spa:
We bought a week long pass to the Persian Garden. Highly recommended if you want to go somewhere at the end of the day and relax.

Miscellaneous:
The internet connection on the ship was absolutely abysmal. You would spend 2 minutes waiting for every one minute of actual time online. I don;t mind having to pay for internet service but at the rates they charge for the level of service it's highway robbery.

All in all we had a good time but the older Celebrity ships don;t hold a candle to the new Solstice class ships. My wife and I are partial to Celebrity and will probably be going on the Reflection next year. Less

Read more Celebrity Summit cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Celebrity Summit Review >>

Cabin review: Celebrity Summit Deluxe Oceanview Stateroom with Veranda Penthouse Deck (6) 7068

Bermuda is by far the nicest island I have ever been to. Everything there is clean and well maintained and the people are genuinely friendly. Rent a moped and explore the island and stop at the different beaches along the south coast, especially Horseshoe Bay. Also, go to Bistro J in Hamilton for dinner. The food is excellent and it's the best deal on the island for a meal of that quality. $35/pp for a 3 course meal and the menu is up on a black board and changes daily.
Read 124 Hamilton Reviews

Take a cab to Maho Bay and watch the planes come in right over the beach. It's a fun experience. The ATV tour to Orient Beach is also a blast.