Carnival Conquest Cruise Review by Heidi

Entertainment 5+
Value-for-Money Not Rated
Rates 5+

Carnival Conquest - Western Caribbean
This was the first cruise for me and my friends; we decided we needed a girlfriends getaway to celebrate surviving the first year out of college. We left Dallas early, early Sunday morning and made our way towards Galveston. Once we arrived we parked the car at EZ cruise ($50.00 for the entire week.)

Embarkation: Upon arriving at the Terminal and dropping off our luggage with the porters we made our way upstairs and through security. I had heard stories of what a nightmare this can be, but we made it through everything-lines and all within 40 minutes and were on the ship by 1:00.

The Conquest: What a beautiful ship, decorated in impressionist theme giving the atrium and all the main areas a very classic look. We then made our way to our room, where we were pleased to find it was not as small as some people had led us to believe. Now dont get me wrong, it was still quite cozy especially with three girls in their early 20s, just not as bad as I had expected. After dropping off our carry-ons we headed up to the Lido deck where we picked up our first drink of the day, and grabbed a bite to eat. Afterwards we headed back down to our room where we were thrilled to see that our luggage was already outside our door, and this is by 2:30, so we decided to unpack rather quickly and then head on to our muster drill.

Once we sailed away it felt good to know that vacation had finally arrived and I wouldnt have to turn my phone on for a week.

We were assigned to the late seating in the Renoir dining room, with a mother daughter duo who turned out to be the best dining companions we could ask for. Our head waiter was Komang who was nice enough, very friendly, prompt, and remembered little details&such as what kind of dressing I liked on my salad. But our assistant waiter Danesh is the one who made dinner so special to us. I cannot even express how great he was, so sweet and funny, we really enjoyed getting to know him and hearing about his family.

That night we went to the Welcome Aboard show, where we met our cruise director Todd Whittmer, who is amazing, I dont think this guy ever sleeps, always on the go.

First Sea day: After not sleeping in as much as we thought we would, we made our way up to the pool fairly early where we scoped out some great chairs right by the stage. It was the perfect seating for the hairy chest contest and ice carving demonstration. We spent the entire day outside drinking and enjoying paradise.

That night we made our way to the piano bar; where we fell in love with our piano player Damian. This guy is just amazing, so professional and yet so personable, we spent most nights there after dinner until he finished up for the evening. After that we made our way to the disco where we danced off all the alcohol we consumed and made our way to bed.

Second Sea day: Much like Monday we spent the majority of the day by the pool and napping. That night was the Mardi Gras party on the Lido deck, where we decided to just be observers and laugh at all the silliness going on. That didnt last long, soon we were dancing and singing with the rest of them, and any hopes of getting a good nights sleep before Jamaica went out the window.

Shore Excursions: Jamaica: After hearing many things about Jamaica, some good, mostly bad. We decided to go to Sunset Beach, where we snorkeled, hung out by the water park, and hung out at the swim up bar. All in all a great day, but I could live without never going there again. So much poverty, it almost brings down your vacation.

Grand Cayman: We did the Allura Catamaran and Stingray tour, which I have to say, was the coolest experience of my life. These are the most gentle creatures, loving, sweet, and certainly nothing to fear. After swimming with the stingrays we grabbed a bite to eat, and noticed a storm rolling in. Determined not to let it ruin our afternoon in such a beautiful port we managed to do a little shopping in the rain, and then made our way back to the ship.

Cozumel: Decided to do the Fiesta Party boat, this was an experience to say the least, especially if you are the only three sober people on board. We partied our way out to Playa Mia, which is one of the most beautiful beaches in the world, where we got to snorkel some more, and paddle boat before getting back to the fiesta. I would have enjoyed this more if we had been given more time in Cozumel to do some shopping, but as it was we got off the party boat and had to immediately board the tender to get back to ship.

Last day at sea: A bittersweet day spent soaking up the last of vacation, and packing. We hung out by the pool, did some shopping onboard, and went to dinner. We had a really hard time saying goodbye to our tablemates, and our waiters, who were just a blast. They really made our vacations something to remember. Then we decided to hit the piano bar one last time and ended up staying out later than we had planned on, but it was worth it.

Debarkation: We decided to do the self assist, and this made everything so much easier, we were off the ship and in the car by 9:00am.

A couple of thoughts: Everything about this cruise was perfect; I really had no complaints at all. Im a firm believer that a vacation is what you make of it, and I went in with no expectations and came out with the some of the fondest memories I could have ever asked for. We made new friends, had a great time just the three of us, and managed to even work in some rest and relaxation. The Conquest is an amazing ship, and the crew just worked their tails off to make sure we had a great time.

Publication Date: 10/10/06