Celebrity Summit Cruise Review by dts2000

Cruise Date: April 2013
Embarkation: San Juan
Destination: Southern Caribbean
Cabin Category: 08

Don't believe the hype! So the search continues...
Between me and my girlfriend, we have been on almost 10 cruises ranging from bottom of the line (Carnival Glory) to vary the satisfied (Royal Caribbean or Princess). We are both in our mid 30s and young professionals, Judging from Celebrity's website and commercials aired both internet and on TV, we thought we were the target demographic and would fit right in. Here is why we were wrong in so many ways.

#1. The ship. We really didn't care too much about the age of the ship or the rust, due to it's age it's understandable. What we had a problem was with the decor and overall autistics of the ship. Celebrity prides on "modern luxury." Aside from the ILoung and the martini bar Crush nothing in the ship seemed modern nor luxurious. And this is after a update to keep up with the times. If someone blind forded me and threw me on this ship, I would of thought I was on any other middle of the road cruise ship. It's lacking a Wow! or Cool modern effect for sure.

Our stateroom (Ocean view) actually had worse decor and comfort then all ships we been on thus far. From the torn sheets to flat pillows and stained linens, the Celebrity Summit is defiantly worthy of the ugly sister badge in every way.

#2. The Staff. There are three types of people aboard this ship. First set of people are the officers onboard. The young, arrogant, rude self indulgent people you would call douche bags on land. Onboard they are called officers. These deck officers are unhelpful most times and never around when you need them, but they don't have a problem bossing the staff around while they mingle with guest or each-other. On many occasions you will find officers hassling other crew members, when they are just trying to do their jobs or flirting with them, holding up the lines and eating with guest in many occasions. Many activities onboard are designed to feed the egos of these douche bags such as parties with officers, dinners with officers, meet the officers, pictures with the officers... Really?

Last but not least are the hundreds of people behind the curtain. From our stateroom attendant Connie to our dining room staff Alexis and Martin, very talented staff of the martini bar Crush and all the people who serve and clean up after us, while we are onboard the floating bucket of pretentious, self indulged cruise line. Most of the time these people are very helpful and can meet most of your needs if you just ask.

#3. The Food. In the effort to keep the review accurate but concise, I must begin with the disclaimer. "We understand food is like art and realize it's very subjective to each and every persons taste. The opinion expressed in this review is my personal opinion and does not reflect a majority or group". Main dining room (Cosmopolitan). Food was served in three course style. Appetizers, main course and desserts. One you have your safe foods, for the boring people, who don't like to try anything new or can't pronounce foreign culinary language, such as shrimp cocktail and grilled chicken breast. On the other you will find items such as tuna tartar, Beef Wellington, rack of lamb, braised beef ribs and lobster on one formal night. The score card for me was a solid 3 out of 5. I understand the main dining room cooks for thousand of people and quality can be hit and miss, but I don't really care. I paid in advance for quality and perfection advertised and I feel like I did not get what I paid for. Many restaurants across the world can deliver night after night perfection while changing the menu day to day. I don't see why the crew onboard can not do the same. We also dined at Normandy one time and was happy the food but wasn't enough to go back for seconds. In our opinion Summit dinning delivered well on most meat dishes such as braised beef ribs and rack of lamb, but fell short on all seafood, from grilled salmon to the lobster. The cosmopolitan buffet was probably the second worst...(Number one spot goes to Carnival Glory). From the never changing spread of bad appetizers, over cooked flavorless meats lack of availability of food. It was really bad. After a long day of frolicking in the ocean or a nice shore excursion, We were handed a cold towel and a paper cup of half empty water outside, I would love to come back to a reasonable size spread of small sandwiches and treats, but my options were. Fatty burgers, greasy pizza and half melted ice cream. Wow were is the luxury in that?

In conclusion, I must say the only thing that made this cruise a hit was the locations and the itinerary. There were couple of things I couldn't understand such as why all the pools closed at 8:30pm and didn't open till around 9:00am, but quickly realized...Oh yah the demographic isn't what's advertised online nor on TV. Looking around I saw lots of middle age to elderly couples with sprinkling of kids out and about and groups from all over the globe. Not young couples living the SOHO life style on deck. Celebrity needs a reality check and needs to understand its hard and most times impossible to carve out a niche in a global market to cater to a minor demographic with the catch phrase Modern Luxury. I believe the Summit shouldn't have to be the ugly sister. She defiantly can't be

the solstice class ship, but why not make it up with top notch service and food that will keep you coming back for more

Publication Date: 05/09/13