Oasis of the Seas Cruise Review by smoothsailing16

Home > Reviews > Member Reviews > Oasis of the Seas Cruise Review by smoothsailing16
Oasis of the Seas
Oasis of the Seas
Member Name: smoothsailing16
Cruise Date: April 2013
Cabin Category: N

Fun time on the Oasis of the Seas!
I have been dying to get onboard the Oasis of the Seas for quite some time now. After a few years wait, finally was able to give it a try. Traveled as a couple in our mid 20s.. Sail date was 4/27/13.

Arrival:

We flew out of BWI morning of cruise and arrived to port at about 11:15 AM. Check in was extremely easy. Longest wait consisted of getting through security. As Gold status members, we were able to check in quicker. Once inside, headed up to the Windjammer for lunch. This process went very well as we were seated and didn't have to hunt for a place to sit down. Food was ok.

Stateroom:

We were in an inside state room on deck 7 very front of the ship. Our state room was laid out a little different as it was an odd corner room. We actually think it was more roomy than the other inside state rooms. Only complaints was there is no alarm clock, thank goodness we brought our own. Also, not enough electrical outlets.

Dining:

We ate all of our dinners in the main dining room. The first evening we arrived and found that there were already people sitting at our table. Someone made an error. So, we were moved to a nice table for two in the front of the dining room on deck 3. Our server was Larry and assistant server was Pritesh. Our service was wonderful!! These two gentlemen were always kind and went out of there way for my boyfriend and I. The dinners themselves were pretty good. My boyfriend and I couldn't stop raving about how amazing the salmon with a horsie sauce was that was served night 1. Prime rib I ordered was very fatty. Other meals and apps were pretty good. Lobster night is my favorite.. we each ate 3 and our servers didn't get annoyed at all with us! Desserts were ok. Best was the molten chocolate cake and crème brulee. Other nights were alright. We did not talk to anyone who ate at any of the paid dining rooms. We can never justify spending money for food when you get it for free. For breakfast and lunch we alternated. Enjoyed Park Cafe a lot. Healthier salad options for lunch made to order was fantastic. Windjammer had wonderful chocolate chip pancakes.

Ship and other things:

First things first, this ship is just huge. Offers a lot of extras that simply we just didn't use. There is quite a wait to do the zip line. The one thing I really missed was the pool layout on other ships where there is a dance floor. Having Central Park separate the deck was different and I didn't particularly care for the layout. OK.. very important!!! If you want to be surrounded by guests that speak English this probably isn't the ship for you. We had MANY Chinese speaking individuals on this ship. We often found that this created issues and especially during the shows were annoyed that the persons not speaking English didn't seem to understand the courtesy of not speaking during shows. My boyfriend and I are very adamant about saying excuse me whenever we pass someone in a hall, elevator, etc. and these individuals just stared at you whenever you excused yourself.

Activities:

We participated in a couple of the activities on board and attended a few shows. Hairspray was fantastic. Having seen it on Broadway, I can say it is pretty top notch and was almost as good as it was on Broadway. Additionally Frozen in Time, the ice skating show, was wonderful!! Do not miss the sand artist. She took my breath away with her art. Come fly with me was good.. I enjoyed it more than the bf did. We also participated in The Quest adult game show. We had a blast and our team won!! Wonderful fun time!

Ports of Call:

Haiti- SOOOOO hot this day. Enjoyed the beach, went to Columbus Cove. Walk to this beach, it is worth the extra hike. View is gorgeous and beach is beautiful and water was lovely. We did not do any shore excursions in Haiti; really is not necessary.

Jamaica- We took a shore excursion here. We did Cruise, snorkel, and fun. I do not highly recommend this shore excursion unless you are very fit and in shape. To snorkel we had to swim a quarter of a mile to the reef area. Waves were very choppy. We also did NOT stop at Margaritaville like the description said we would. We did spend time at Doctor's Cave Beach and paid for lunch at the beach club. The lunch we paid for was wonderful. But all in all, this excursion was overpriced and not the best.

Cozumel- Here we did an excursion.. Sea Turtle Snorkel. We tendered over to the main land and drove to Akumal. Then we participated in a guided snorkel. This was hands down worth every penny. We saw many large sea turtles and the reef was gorgeous. We then ate lunch at the resort and had some time at the beach.

tendered back over to the main land and were dropped off in down town Cozumel. We had to pay for a taxi back to the ship, only $8. Here we then shopped in the area by the ship and bought authentic Mexican tequila with the worm on the bottom (my boyfriend couldn't leave Mexico without this souvineer).

Publication Date: 05/09/13
More Oasis of the Seas Cruise Reviews

More Oasis of the Seas Reviews
Huge ship
Mostly great
Oasis Absolutely Fantastic !!!

Cruise Critic's Oasis of the Seas Review