Celebrity Century Cruise Review by cpj74

Cruise Date: April 2013
Embarkation: San Diego
Destination: Hawaii
Cabin Category: NS
See More About: Celebrity Century Cruise Reviews | Hawaii Cruise Reviews | Celebrity Cruise Deals

Challenging cruise
Hawaii on Century - Good and not so good.

I had some expectations for this cruise such as I expected pretty much "old ship...excellent food...great staff!" The total experience turned out to be a bit challenging.

The ship had some signs of wear and tear. The crew keeps her tidy and clean. Public restrooms were cleaned continuously and often had attendants.

I was OK with Century but will stick with Royal Caribbean based on reasons you will see below.

Meet N Mingle: I signed up for it but never heard anything so I was disappointed as I would have liked to have gone if there was one. This is the first cruise I never made any cruise "friends". Disappointing!

The Cruise had lots of sea days. Five days, then Hawaii! Then lots of sea days again. It's a longer cruise (15 nights) but only 4 ports. I thought it was OK. There were lots of things to do on board. I didn't have a chance to do much because I was traveling with my 89 year old friend. I learned I could probably do some of the longer cruises with lots of sea days without going crazy.

There were ukulele lessons and some lectures. I was glad to see a lot of the shows were on TV since I couldn't be there in person but did enjoy watching them later.

I enjoyed the ports and excursions that I did go on but again it was challenging with a person who can't get around well.

The night cruise past the lava flow turned out to be pretty awesome as the lava was a bright red. It was dark on the ship so you really got a great view!

I did enjoy the ACapella group, Classical string trio, and a couple of shows. Again, it's nice to watch shows on TV.

The food was fine and I did have my favorites. We ate in the main dining room at the 8:00 seating. My friend loved the French onion soup and the stuffed mushrooms were my favorite. We didn't go all nights because my friend and I didn't like sitting at a table for 8 by ourselves nor having to look at the people from the next table staring at us. We were joined finally by a young couple and noticed the people from the next table staring because the beautiful young lady was a plus size model. Very uncomfortable to see people like that!

Service in the main dining room was excellent. Dress code was resort casual which was pretty casual most nights. Three formal nights and those were very nice. Lobster was served on the last formal night.

We only ate in the buffet 2 times, once when we first boarded and then another time towards the end of the cruise. I spent a lot of time running to get coffee from the Cafe for my friend since she rarely got up before 10 am and needed it to start her day. We were in the Concierge class so we made sure we ate on the balcony whenever we could. Olga, our butler, was out of this world and really took good care of my friend!

The cabin was comfortable but small considering the amount of money I spent for a "suite". It was a regular room but because the deck was the best I wasn't going to complain. My friend uses a walker and getting it in and out of the room was impossible. We could get it out easier then in. We had to turn it sideways to leave and fold it totally to get it in. Not good!

The bed was very comfortable and I also had the egg crate foam added just in case! I thought it was clean and comfortable.

Cabin attendant and Butler: Out of this world!

Issue:

Laundry day: We decided to take advantage of the all the laundry you can get into a bag and was glad we did that. Problem was my friends pants from her suit disappeared and never were found. Fortunately it was an old suit! To make up for it she got to buy a robe at full price and get another one for half price so she was happy.

Wifi: Horrid, bad connections no matter where you were. Sometimes it took 5 minutes to connect and at a discount of 48 cents a minute it was stressful so if I didn't connect within a minute I made sure I was logged off!

Tendering. Seas were rough. Leave a little room for people as they were being tossed around.

Disembarkation. Basically everyone for themselves. With little direction coming from anyone, worst I've ever seen, especially for those in Concierge!

Overall I enjoyed the trip. I did get seasick probably because the ship is smaller, my room was in back and the ocean was rocky. Thank goodness for Dramamine, it helped a lot!

The following info was not Celebrities fault: The age of most passengers was about 50 and older although I did see a few younger ones.

Rude person number 1 said the following on a bus trip: "I feel like I'm at a Convalescent Hospital with a bunch of old people". I so bit my tongue especially since she was not young. Granted there were quite a few people that used canes and walkers but those comments should never be said out loud. One of the passengers that was in a wheelchair was not old and I hope she didn't hear the comment.

Rude 2: I was waiting at the Casino window to get my winnings when an "older" man walked up to the window right next to me and put his money on the counter. I told him I wasn't done yet and he could get behind me. He gave me attitude and I told him he was in my space. He got snottier so fortunately my money had just been counted out so I took it and left.

What is wrong with people that they can't be courteous, we are on vacation so relax!!!! The reason I even mention this is so people who do read it will be aware that actions can still be a problem if they are negative. We are all entitled to a nice vacation.

Other then that everything else was as nice as it could be. I will be taking bigger ships from now on though!

Publication Date: 05/07/13