Carnival Conquest Cruise Review by dga413: Wonderful time on the Conquest!

dga413
Member Since 2013

Compare Prices on Carnival Conquest Western Caribbean Cruises

Wonderful time on the Conquest!

Sail Date: April 2013
Embarkation: New Orleans

We took the Conquest to the Western Caribbean (Montego Bay, Grand Cayman, and Cozumel) for our Honeymoon in April. I was a little nervous after we booked last summer because Carnival started to have all the issues with their ships. I also saw negative reviews that had me worried. But after returning I had to write a review myself on our experience. This was our first cruise so we had nothing to compare it to except other vacations at hotels, resorts, etc.

We flew in the night before and stayed at the Hilton by the airport, which was fantastic. We took a taxi to the Port with some other people from the hotel who were also cruising with Carnival. After arriving, we got in what SEEMED like an outrageously long line, but in reality it moved super quickly and we were thru in no time! Security didn't take long at all and we actually got VIP check in without having signed up for it. The line to board the ship was longer than usual I guess, so they were pulling random people to go More into the VIP room to check in to make the process go faster so that was a nice surprise. We were able to go right up to our room after boarding, which was all ready for us. We met our room steward, who knew our names and that we were on our honeymoon and he was so incredibly nice. We went up to the Lido deck and ate at the Blue Iguana, which was FANTASTIC! Our overall impression of day 1 was that we were just in shock that all of the staff was so NICE! Everyone would smile and greet you when you walked by and they all seemed happy to be there.

We had 2 days at sea before our first port so we explored the ship and laid by the pool one day. There was a lot to do and we definitely were never bored. Throughout the trip, we went to a lot of the activities like Harbro Games, the concert-like productions at night, trivia games, etc. We discovered pretty quickly that the mixed drinks on board weren't overly strong so we stopped ordering them and went mostly with beer unless we were in ports.

In Montego Bay, we did the Irie Mon Beach Party, which was a blast. A full day of drinks, food and games on the beach was great and the water was beautiful!

In Grand Cayman we did the Snuba which was absolutely amazing! We are not scuba certified but wanted to do more than just snorkel so Snuba was a great experience! We saw lots of fish, held a sea urchin, and saw the sunken shipwreck. I highly recommend the excursion. The boat actually docked at 7 and our excursion wasn't until 11:30 so we had time to wander around the island! We went to Margaritaville, which was great as usual. We went to the post office and mailed postcards to family back home- for 2 postcards and the stamps it was only $1. It was really a fantastic day.

For Cozumel, I had decided not to book an excursion, hoping that we could just explore and do some shopping and I definitely picked the right port for that!!! All the shopping you can imagine, jewelry shops have tequila shots, margaritas or mimosas just for coming inside, we ate authentic Mexican food and margaritas and walked all over! It was just incredible.

I saw some reviews complaining about the food on the boat and I just have to say that if you're hungry it's your fault. There is food constantly available! For breakfast you could go to the dining room or the buffet so there were options. The Blue Iguana was open for lunch so we made sure to eat there a couple times! Guy's Burger Joint was open until 6 every day. 24 hour room service and pizza plus late night buffets if you didn't get enough at dinner, which was available at the dining room, buffet or deli. The ice cream machines were 24 hours as well. I don't think we ever had a bad meal. We started taking the stairs everywhere after the first couple days because I realized we were going to gain 10 lbs each if we didn't lol.

For having almost 3,000 cruisers on the boat, it never seemed crowded. You'd never know there were so many people until you went to the Lido deck by the pools. My advice is to get out there early if you want to get beach chairs otherwise you might be waiting. The boat was always spotless, our room was cleaned everyday to perfection, and everyone was incredibly nice. I definitely recommend getting a balcony room! We thought we would splurge since it was our first cruise and get one but we will definitely never sail without one again.

We had a fantastic trip! We got home and almost immediately booked another cruise for the same time next year going to the Eastern Caribbean. My only other advice is to AVOID the Sheraton on Canal Street if you are staying before or after your cruise. We stayed for 1 night after the cruise and it was the worst hotel stay we've ever had, which highly disappointing after spending over $300 for 1 night. We aren't the type of people to complain but I did fill out the survey the Sheraton emailed me after our stay and got an email from the manager stating he was refunding our stay so I'm glad we will be getting that money back!

I was highly impressed with Carnival and the Conquest and can't wait to sail Carnival again next year! Less

Read more Carnival Conquest cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Carnival Conquest Review >>

Cabin review: Carnival Conquest Balcony Empress 7348

Quiet room, away from any noise. Nice sized room, loved the balcony! 3 closets so we had ample clothing space. FANTASTIC steward. No complaints at all!

Read 3099 Cozumel Reviews