Celebrity Eclipse Cruise Review by Tonyhodgson71

Home > Reviews > Member Reviews > Celebrity Eclipse Cruise Review by Tonyhodgson71
Celebrity Eclipse
Celebrity Eclipse
Member Name: Tonyhodgson71
Cruise Date: April 2013
Destination: Transatlantic
Cabin Category: C2
See More About: Celebrity Eclipse Cruise Reviews | Transatlantic Cruise Reviews | Celebrity Cruise Deals
Member Rating   5+ out of 5+
Public Rooms 5+
Spa & Fitness 5+
Rates 5+

Celebrity eclipse review April 2013
Hi all,

We I'm now sitting at home after another wonderful transatlantic cruise, this time on the celebrity eclipse 20th April - 3rd May 2013, and just wanted to post a review on how I found it!

Us -

We are uk cruisers and are from kent in England and are in our very early forties! Although we found we were among the younger side of the gang this didn't affect how we enjoyed the cruise and we were lucky to meet some really lovely people on board from people our own age to 70-80 year olds and even a few younger,

Embarkation -

After hearing all the scaremongering regarding the embarkation at ft Lauderdale and recieving the email the day before we boarded regarding the delayed boarding time I didn't quite know what to expect but as we did on our last cruise we headed to the port about 10.30am & on arrival we had our bags taken off us straight from the taxi then was lead to the queue for check in, now although it wasn't open yet we were put in a queue for c/class guests witch was the same queue as suites & aqua, there was about 10 people in front of us already so I was kind of pleased we decided to arrive early! Then after about 10-15 mins they opened up where we queued up inside for about 10 mins extra then we were called through security then straight to check in and lead to a lounge area upstairs where we were sat in order of arriving in the lounge so this ment we were in the first 8 on the ship, now we were sat there for around 40 mins but it was comfy and very well organized and by the time we boarded there were hundreds (or thousands) behind us so I would do the same again!

Our Cabin 1070 C/Class -

We choose this cabin for the deck & location we wanted and was very happy with our choice, deck 10 and pretty much middle of the ship, we found the cabin quiet and we had a great room steward (Jesus), and he looked after us very well and was always there if we needed something which wasn't often but there all the same and we had a few nice chats with him during the cruise, he also made us a few towel animals which was nice to come back to at the end of the night especially as we didn't get any on the silhouette!

The Ship -

Our limited cruise life of 2 cruises, this one and the silhouette last December which was also a transatlantic so we had loads of time to explore the ships...

We found the Eclipse to be just as nice as the silhouette and found all the crew to be just as amazing in every area and we are already looking forward to spending another 2 weeks on her later in the year! But that said I would say I prefer the newer additions on the silhouette rather then the eclipse lawn club as we loved the lawn grill & the porch v's the glass blowing stuff... That was a good show but just not for us!

Pool Area -

As expected it was busy but never really had a problem getting a bed where we wanted either in the sun or shade so that was all good, there was the usual bed hogs but that's not going to change anytime soon as its part of life for some people/nations!

Main Dining Room -

We ate in the main dining room on 7 of the 13 nights on board and found the food lovely every time along with good service, I say good because we did feel we didn't get the same level of service as other in the select dining area that had the same table and server every night as we went at different times and opted for a table of 2 we were at different areas each time, I understand that people build up a bit of a relationship with their waiters over the course of the cruise but just felt we didn't get the same level of service as others.

Speciality Restaurants -

We ate at the main 3 speciality restaurants during the cruise and found the service at each of them to be extremely good in all areas and couldn't fault them, regarding the food we found both Qsine & Tuscan was great but was a little disappointed with murano's as we had the best meal on the silhouette there and on the eclipse we found it to be the worst of them all! not just a course but the whole meal... And we also heard this from others on the eclipse as well!

Molecular Bar - Alejandro

As with the silhouette this was my favorite pre dinner bar on the ship and had a great liquid chef on board that made us amazing drinks every night!

Martini Bar - Imade & Putu

We did enjoy our post dinner drinks in the martini bar most nights and found it to be busy every night and I guess this was due to the high number of people on board with the free drinks package which like us I'm sure most upgraded so the higher priced drinks were included such a great deal I don't think this had a negative affect on the level of service as we got served quickly every time and found the bar men to be friendly happy & entertaining at all times!

Eclipse Theater -

We saw around 8/9 shows on this cruise and found them all to be of a good standard, some more then others but that's always going to happen but over all we enjoyed them all!

Captain -

We found the captain to be a great guy but we were spoilt by the captain on the silhouette as he was amazing and doubt we will ever get a better captain so I think every other one will fall short slightly! But that said we did enjoy meeting him and found him to be very informative throughout the cruise,

Cruise Director - Sue Denning

Not to be controversial as we have heard nothing but great things about her and her team but we just didn't warm to her and found her to be far to involved in everything when we would have liked her to maybe take a step back and let others get involved a bit more... Don't get me wrong we found her to be nice on the odd occasions we came in direct contact with her but just had a feeling that it was all a little fake & over the top at some stages... Again maybe we were spoilt again on the silhouette!,

Disembarkation @ Southampton -

Again after hearing a few horror story's regarding this we were a little concerned about making a 9.30am coach so we booked the later 11.50am one instead but how wrong we were... What a breeze the whole thing was!

Around day 5 we were notified that a uk immigration officer will be on board for the rest of the cruise to do that part of the process so when it comes to getting off we just had to pick up our luggage then go through customs then off we go! And it really was as easy as that, we had a disembarkation time of 8.40am and we was in the taxi to the coach station at 8.55am...

Summary -

Overall another great cruise which has made us hooked even more and we really love the solstice class ships, we would recommend this ship to anyone and I know I have made a few negative comments but this would not affect our decision to book with celebrity again and along with our next cruise which is already booked we have started looking for the one after that!

I know the above is a little long but just wanted to put as much info as I could as before our first cruise we found all the info on this site very helpful so hopefully someone will find it worth reading,

Thanks for reading and I hope you found it informative!

Tony