Carnival Fantasy Cruise Review by Ebo2013

3-6 3.0
Shore Excursions 5+
Value-for-Money 5+
Rates 5+

First time cruisers family of three
We drove in from VA and used the parking at the port. The process to park was very fast and we got a spot inside. We arrived a few minutes before the earliest time we could. For example, we arrived at 12:45 and we were supposed to get there no earlier than 1. Anyone who complains about the parking being in a wharehouse or the port being ugly is spoiled rotten! I was grateful to park inside, and Charelston was pretty. The embarkation process was smooth and fast. I registered a credit card before hand and had all the documents we needed, which helps a lot. Do your research!

We went straight to our room which wasn't ready yet, but we were able to drop off our bags. We got our sign and sail cards hole punched and had them on lanyards along with small hand sanitizers. If we hadn't, I'm sure I would've lost mine. Then we went straight to the buffet on the lido deck. Even though it can be busy sometimes, we never waited long at the buffet and could always find a great table next to the windows. In the buffet, a server comes around to refill you drinks which is nice! The selection of food isn't a lot but it was pretty good. In Nassau they had Bahamian food and I loved the conches! They were delicious, too bad my stomach did not agree!

We then confirmed our dinning time. We were wait listed for early dinning and didnt get it so they assigned us anytime dinning. The only time we had to wait to be seated was on formal night. I didn't mind standing in line feeling beautiful and surrounded by beautiful people. The line moved fast!

Dinning: most nights we dinned in the Celebration dinning room. The service was fantastic! One time, my son ordered pizza and it came as one small round uncut personal size pizza. I started cutting it for him, and the server appeared and took it in front of my son and started cutting it for him. My son gave him instructions "this piece bigger, no that's ok, I can eat that part" and the server just laughed and did everything. Another night we were in there late and while cleaning the tables, our server stopped to show us a magic trick. Also, my son wanted to order brownies and cookies, and ice cream, and hot chocolate for desert and I said no he had to chose and couldn't have hot chocolate becuase they have to go far to get it. Well the server brought him everything! He wasn't undermining me, he could tell I didn't want to be too much trouble for him and went out of his way. That was a common theme with the service for the whole ship. They went out of their way to make us feel special! The food was just ok, with some things being really good. The Mongolian grill was excellent.

Camp carnival: my so loved it the first few times, then something happened, not sure what, and he didn't want to go back. I think he got in trouble and maybe embarrassed. Also, one night he started feeling really sick and they did not page us over the loud speaker, when I picked him up at 1am, he had been there sick for a while. Overall, half the trip it was great, the other half, it was useless becuase I didn't want to force him to go, I would rather do something fun with him myself.

Our stateroom was on the empress deck with a window, port side. Our window was very dirty and it was hard to see clearly out of it. Our steward was fantastic! The room was comfortable. But we did get home with bed bugs bites all over! There were plenty of coat hangers, about a dozen. Only one plug for the whole room but no problem for us.

Entertainment: comedy show was fantastic! We got in line 30 minutes before the show and got great seats. Laughed so hard, it was halarious. The casino was fun too! I really liked the face up blackjack and my husband enjoyed the poker. The dance club was rocking, loved it. We played games in the library and the giant chess game on the lido deck. We did not go to any of the shows, or trivia. Even though I would've like to, it was just never a really good time for us.

Spa: I got a prenatal massage on the first night, took advantage of the special. It was great and the girl from England was very pleasant to talk to. I surprised my husband with a shave, and it was more like a nightmare for him. I also got a Karitan treatment for my hair and I think it was a rip off. But the service was excellent and for facials and massage it's a pretty good choice.

Shore excursion: We did the kayak and Nature tour in Freeport based on the high reviews. It lived up to the reviews and was a great experience. We all loved it.

Ship info: the ship does remind me of a pretty nice Vegas resort. An older one, like the flamingo, not the Wynn. That was fine with us since we just moved from Vegas and we felt right at home. They do have picture opportunities all over all the time pretty much. Don't pay attention to people who complain about the crew trying to sell pictures or drinks! They obviously have never been to any tourist destination before! A simple no thank you is all it takes. The ship was beautiful and clean. The pool was not too crowded, and I got there at 10:30am and had no problem getting a chair right next to the middle of the pool to watch my son swim. The water was too cold for me and I can't go in the spa. A couple hours later and chairs were a little harder to come by. The water slide was so much fun and never had a line and plenty of chairs. The gym was empty at 6:30am but by 9 it was full. Sunrise from an exercise bike was a special moment for me.

Summary: overall we had an excellent experience and I would recommend this cruise. Do your research and there will be no suprises. We hit 58mph winds on the last sea day and I spent most the day and all night in bed. Don't buy the sea sickness oil in the gift shop, just go to medical center they have all you need. You have to look for the bright side and make the most out of your experience. Remember there is nothing perfect In this life, and have reasonable expectations and you will be pleasantly surprised, just like I am. Cheers.

Publication Date: 05/07/13