Explorer of the Seas Cruise Review by Ned11: Explorer 9 Night Bermuda/Caribbean 18th April

Ned11
Member Since 2012

Compare Prices on Explorer of the Seas Eastern Caribbean Cruises

Explorer 9 Night Bermuda/Caribbean 18th April

Sail Date: April 2013
Embarkation: Other

I was on the RCI Explorer of the Seas for a 9 night Bermuda and Caribbean cruise from Cape Liberty on the 18th April.

It was a fantastic cruise and I couldn't fault it. Embarkation was quick and easy. I arrived at 10.45 and was on the ship by 11am. I wondered around the ship to get photos before the ship filled up.
I went to the Windjammer to eat when it opened at 11.30am.

It was a bit cold and very windy for the sail away party so I gave it miss. I went to check out my room just after 1.30pm and I was very happy. I had a Promenade Room 8591 and had a fantastic view of the Royal Promenade. I had a great time people watching. Just remember to close the curtains when you are getting undressed! This didn't happen to me but I have heard the stories.

There was 4 sea days in all and there was quite a lot of activities going on around the ship if wished. I especially enjoyed the Belly Flop and World's Sexiest Man Competitions by the pool.

We went to More Bermuda and I did the 5 hour minibus excursion with RCI. It was fabulous. I've never seen sea like it. If you get the chance to go to Bermuda, GO!!!

St Maarten I did on my own. I got a taxi which was only $8 to Maho beach to watch the planes coming in. There was a few going to the beach so that is why the taxi was cheap.

St Thomas I did a 2 hour trip around the island with RCI. After that, I then went to Red Hook to get the ferry to Cruz Bay in St John. I had read peoples accounts regarding a 'Hook Bracelet' that a company makes in St John and wanted one. He made it just over a hour and I hoped back on the ferry to get back to the ship.

San Juan, Puerto Rico I was a little disappointed. I did the forts tour with RCI but because we had to be back on the ship by 12.30pm we only had 2 and bit hours to see the forts. Including in the time, we got on a coach and then had to wait for another group. For the trip between the forts we had to wait for our coach to pick us up and then we had to walk back to the ship. There was no time to do a bit of shopping for souvenirs. Waste of time really. I wouldn't go there again.

Food in the dinning room, Windjammer and Johnny Rockets was excellent. The staff were brilliant. The cruise director Leigh and is side kick (activities manager) Chris were brilliant too. They recorded the morning show in different areas of the Royal Promenade and you could stand and watch the show being made. Quite a laugh. Chris is moving on, which is a shame, as they did compliment each other very well. He has just been promoted and is moving to another ship.

Not much more I can say really. It was fab, excellent, brill!! Less

Read more Explorer of the Seas cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Explorer of the Seas Review >>

Cabin review: Explorer of the Seas Promenade Oceanview Stateroom Deck 6 8591

Great location and view from the window. Only noise is when they have the 70's night on which is only till 11.30pm. You'll have a clean sofa as I had it cleaned while I was there. I would definitely stay in that one another again.

I took a taxi to Maho Beach to watch the planes come in. Taxi cost $8 one way when the taxi is full or $20 if you are on your own. Sunset Grill Bar is the best as it shows what planes are coming in. Got dropped off at Phillipsburg to do a bit shopping and headed back to the ship. This took about 10 mins to walk.