Norwegian Gem Cruise Review by bobbilo: great trip

Member Since 2011

Compare Prices on Norwegian Gem Eastern Caribbean Cruises

great trip

Sail Date: April 2013
Embarkation: New York (Manhattan)

I was concerned about sailing on the Gem again as there were some disappointments 2 years ago. At that time I had written the president of NCL. He said he would look into it but I chalked that up to 'corporate speak'. Surprisingly, every issue we had two years ago was corrected as he said they would be and it was a phenomenal trip! I was thrilled to see Sinan and the Man from Mars on the ship again. Sinan is hands down the best cruise director ever and the Man from Mars is an incredible show.
Our cabin is down in steerage on Deck 5, but was fine. We had three adults in the cabin and I slept in the berth but it was so comfortable I almost hated getting up in the morning. There was ample drawer space and the suitcases fit into the closet.
We loved the circus the kids put on (the children in the kids clubs) even though we had no kids with us. And the Cake Masters battle among Sinan, the head chef, and the comedian was hysterical. Even my mother said she's never laughed so More much in her life.
Since my mother is 91, we ate in the MDR's so she didn't have to balance plates at the buffet and the food was always great.
We did excursions at San Juan and St Maarten, walked around St Thomas and Samana. Even though we cancelled my mother's ticket for St Maarten that morning, they had no problem giving us a refund. Beautiful weather, great ship, wonderful vacation! Less

Read more Norwegian Gem cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Norwegian Gem Review >>

Cabin review: Norwegian Gem

We were on deck 5, 5088. The cabin was fine, on the small side compared to HAL and Carnival, not as small as Princess (which needs to provide a shoe horn with the room key). Third in the room has a berth but it was remarkably comfortable and I almost hated getting up in the morning. We were mid ship by the elevators, by request as my mother is 91 and can't walk far. There was NEVER a problem with noise in the hallway or from the elevator traffic. A GREAT location for getting on and off the ship at shore excursions. Drawer space was fine for three people and the suitcases fit into the closet. Bathroom space was more than adequate with a full-size shower (unlike Carnival). Only drawback was no chair with a back in the room. Would definitely pick this room again; the location and price are both just right.

we took a tour from the ship as we wanted to see both the Dutch and French parts of the island. The tour guide was very informative and we learned a lot. I tried to walk to the fort in the French part but learned I'm not as young as I thought I was

Since we had been to St Thomas before, we decided to just walk into town. The walk was longer than we remembered--and longer than people told us it was!--but it was a nice stroll along the bay. I thought the ship docked closer to town the last time we went, but I was younger then so maybe it just seemed closer. We wandered around a bit, had a drink, then took a cab back to the ship. Only $4 per person for the cab.
Read 2332 St. Thomas Reviews