Norwegian Gem Cruise Review by bobbilo

Norwegian Gem
Norwegian Gem
Member Name: bobbilo
Cruise Date: April 2013
Embarkation: New York (Manhattan)
Cabin Category: OB
See More About: Norwegian Gem Cruise Reviews | Eastern Caribbean Cruise Reviews | NCL Cruise Deals
Entertainment 5+

Ship Facts: Norwegian Gem Review (by Cruise Critic!) | Norwegian Gem Deck Plans
great trip
I was concerned about sailing on the Gem again as there were some disappointments 2 years ago. At that time I had written the president of NCL. He said he would look into it but I chalked that up to 'corporate speak'. Surprisingly, every issue we had two years ago was corrected as he said they would be and it was a phenomenal trip! I was thrilled to see Sinan and the Man from Mars on the ship again. Sinan is hands down the best cruise director ever and the Man from Mars is an incredible show.

Our cabin is down in steerage on Deck 5, but was fine. We had three adults in the cabin and I slept in the berth but it was so comfortable I almost hated getting up in the morning. There was ample drawer space and the suitcases fit into the closet.

We loved the circus the kids put on (the children in the kids clubs) even though we had no kids with us. And the Cake Masters battle among Sinan, the head chef, and the comedian was hysterical. Even my mother said she's never laughed so much in her life.

Since my mother is 91, we ate in the MDR's so she didn't have to balance plates at the buffet and the food was always great.

We did excursions at San Juan and St Maarten, walked around St Thomas and Samana. Even though we cancelled my mother's ticket for St Maarten that morning, they had no problem giving us a refund. Beautiful weather, great ship, wonderful vacation!

Publication Date: 05/06/13