Carnival Sensation Cruise Review by emilywakehouse: Disappointed but it was cheap enough anyways...

emilywakehouse
Member Since 2013

Compare Prices on Carnival Sensation Bahamas Cruises

Disappointed but it was cheap enough anyways...

Sail Date: April 2013
Destination: Bahamas
Embarkation: Port Canaveral

Rooms: I expected small but was pleasantly surprised that the room was spacious enough for my group of 4 (three of them being 6'3" guys) to move around and pack away our things comfortably. The shower and bathroom was reasonably sized as well. We never heard a peep from our neighbors either. HOWEVER the room was dirty. The sheets were clean but everything else was dirty and damp. This grossed me out.

Ship:
The ship is indeed in need of an overhaul as another reviewer has mentioned. It is old, the swimming pool is extremely small and crowded (never went in it because of this), there is a serious lack of hot tubs (I think there are a grand total of 3 or 4 of them on the ship), and everything feels like an outdated vegas hotel. The ship, like our room, also lacked proper hygienics and was so much smaller than I had envisioned! You could walk from one end to the other in 60 seconds.

Entertainment:
The comedians and shows were pretty good. Our cruise director was More hilarious which was always fun. The nightclub was a little sparse - perhaps our cruising demographic was a little more family orientated - not sure why. As mentioned before this ship was very small so by the last day of the cruise we were done with the entertainment. I wouldn't recommend this boat for a longer cruise.

Food:
The food aspect of this trip was bizarre. The main buffet/dining hall that was the "on your own time" sort of place was gross. The quality of food was so low I refused to eat there and made sure to follow the itineraries to make sure I could eat in the seated dining halls. The burger grill and mongolian wok were just ok. On the other hand though, eating in the seated dining hall was excellent! I felt everything was cleaner, there was a greater variety of food, better quality of food, and just a better presentation overall. If you go on this ship that would be the way to go.

Staff and Service:
Our staff were very pleasant and friendly. They learned our names and made for a pleasant experience. The service however was slow - you could count on dinner taking up to 2 hours to get through the starters, main, and dessert - however I have been told that April is the training month for new cruise staff in preparation for summer.

Bahamas:
The Bahamas is a complete dump, especially Freeport. If you dont want to spend a lot of money on excursions that can take you to quiet parts of the island and you're just looking for a beach, you will be fine with Nassau but still - this probably-once-beautiful island is trash. I wouldn't recommend the Bahamas as your destination but it might be fine as just a stop on the way to better islands e.g. st. John.

Conclusion:
I would recommend a cruise experience even though I was a little disappointed - and I feel that Carnival is not the issue here - I would just recommend a different ship and a different destination. I only paid $300 after taxes, gratuities, and 2 drinks so I don't feel I wasted my money. Less

Read more Carnival Sensation cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Carnival Sensation Review >>

Cabin review: Carnival Sensation Interior Verandah R222

Dirty! But a good location... close to elevators and directly beneath the dining rooms so quick access to meals yet very quiet at the same time as far away from casino and nightclub etc. Decent size.

Absolute dump. Didn't bother paying the outrageous taxi fees to get to the beaches or anything that might be worth seeing. Got right back on the boat.
Read 779 Freeport Reviews

Again, kind of a dump but less so than Freeport. Dirty and busy but the beach was well wort getting off the boat. Absolutely loved the beach. Very clear water - dont count on snorkeling unless you pay to go on a boat to a neighboring island as there are no fish or anything worth seeing IN the water here.
Read 2645 Nassau Reviews