Caribbean Princess Cruise Review by Peanutts: No excursions for Wheelchair on Caribbean Princess Southern

Peanutts
Member Since 2011

Compare Prices on Caribbean Princess Southern Caribbean Cruises

No excursions for Wheelchair on Caribbean Princess Southern

Sail Date: April 2013
Destination: Southern Caribbean

First of all I would like to say we have travelled a few times on other Princess ships and all though we had a good time I just wanted to warn disabled travellers that the Caribbean Princess on the Southern route to Aruba doesn't have the same facilities as it's sister ships.
1. We have a beautiful wheelchair cabin on Caribe deck 10 which as the bigger balcony. A couple of days towards the end of the ship we were unable to use the balcony because of the sewage smell. Don't know if the ship was dumping its sewage or not. 3 ship personal told me three different stories.
2. The doors going on the pool deck don't open automatically from the forward end of the ship so my mum couldn't go up there by herself and I had to be with her most of the time on the ship to open various doors. Other Princess ships all have auto doors in the pool deck area.
3. There are only 6 spots for wheelchair or scooters in the theatre right at the back. There must have been at least 40 people More with either wheelchair or scooters on board. One night we were unable to see the show.
4. There are no excursions on the Southern route for people in scooters. Princess Cay is a tender and Curacao and Aruba don't have any transportation either Princess or private. If you are in a wheelchair and climb steps they can accommodate you. Princess excursions before you travel always say to check when you are on board which is too late when you are already on the ship.
5. The gang way in Aruba was totally unsuitable for wheelchairs or scooters. Mum had to be transferred into a wheelchair and two guys almost had to carry her down and the scooter had to be taken down separately. Less

Read more Caribbean Princess cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Caribbean Princess Review >>

Cabin review: Caribbean Princess Oceanview Double with Balcony Aloha C303

Caribe Deck 10 cabin C303 was a large wheelchair cabin double the size of a regular cabin with a double long balcony. We were on the starboard side and I think I would have preferred the port side. When you were docked there was nothing to see but the sea. A couple of days while at sea there was a terrible sewage smell and were unable to use the balcony.