Oosterdam Cruise Review by dber: Poor entertainment on board

Poor entertainment on board

Sail Date: March 2013
Destination: Australia & New Zealand
Embarkation: Auckland

We booked the cruise with our agent at home and everything was very well organized and handled professionally.

We embarked the ship in Auckland and we were told not to go to the pier before 11am, because we had to checked out the hotel at 10am which was quite closed to the pier, we went there before the said time anyway but found out that it was really not necessary to go early because we had to wait in line for almost an hour and once the gate opened, it was very smooth.

We were in a balcony stateroom and our stewards Mat and his assistant were very friendly and helpful, especially Mat, he seemed to always "run into" us every day and checked whether everything was ok, and the housekeeping responded to any requests very quickly. Our Indonesian dinning room waiters were excellent throughout. It was a pleasant surprise that the food in Lido were as good as the dinning room. We tried all the specialty restaurants and concluded that the quality of food were not worth More paying extra.

We were disappointed by the poor entertainment on board and the reasons have been explained by some of the fellow members on the same ship and I don't need to go into details. I would like to point out that despite Oosterdam has a big group of singers and dancers, they only put on 2 1/2 show during the 14 day voyage. For the rest of nights, shows were organized poorly. There were no enrichment lectures, the short presentation on New Zealand by the travel guide Susan came after the ship left New Zealand! Some passengers think it was the result of cost cutting, I think it was due to poor management.

I was shocked by the attitude of the further cruise consultant Joanne when I approached her wanting to book my next cruise. She seemed to have absolutely no interest to assist me for the booking. I can't help it but to think she didn't care to serve me because I am an Asian. I called to request for another staff to help me but I was told she was the only one. I don't know how she dealt with other passengers but I am sure she doesn't do any good for the company if she acts that way to anyone. It wasn't all bad though, all the Asian staff on board were very helpful.

I'll cruise with HAL again in future but try to avoid Oosterdam if possible if no improvement are made. Less

Read more Oosterdam cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Oosterdam Review >>

Cabin review: Oosterdam Deluxe Verandah Oceanview Upper Promenade 7115

The room was spacious and lot of storage. I found the aircon was a bit noisy but tolarable.